Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok what cam do i need if i go with the 205s for my 402w stroker, street grind rpm range 3000 to 6500, might go with these heads if i can afford them, my current cam is HR but i like to go with a solid roller street grind like comp cam xe-286r or something else. thanks.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Street car, race car, drag only, bracket racer??

Cam choice varies greatly between different applications.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Would go custom

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a similar combo, XR286R here. I haven't driven it, but it dynoed 602hp at 6400rpm. The aim for mine is more strip than street. It's going to be interesting driving this on the street.

·
Registered
391 Posts
well com is grinding me a solid roller right now,should be in at the end of the week,244/255 .586/.613 112 L/S going in a9.5-1 427/afr 205n/a till i get some coin for a paxton/ati/vort.got a trick flow box-r on the way also,according to crower who i got the specs from should make about 500/550 flywheel/hope to get 650/700 with less than 10 psi,i hope the 550 is with 87 octane,just some ideas.later

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
A lot of the specs depend on how 'street' you want it to be. Everybody seems to have a different idea of what are acceptable manners in a 'street' cam.

To some, tight lobe seperation ROWDY idles and no power below 3000 rpm is not an issue... and the BIG, LOUD 3"+ exhaust with see-through mufflers that are required for these beasts aren't an issue, either. Fuel mileage can NOT be an issue for the drivers of these beasts.

For others, a wider power range and more civilized exhaust are more in order. These drivers will want to be a little more conservative with duration numbers, and will want to specify wider lobe seperation angles.

Much of it depends upon YOUR definition of STREET.

When a custom cam grinder hears 'more street than strip' and sees your current 2.5" exhaust and X-pipe, he will be leaning towards the more civilized rules.... as that is probably what you NEED if the car is really more street than strip. This won't make it slow. It just might trade off a couple tenths at the track for MUCH better street manners.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 5/29/06 9:17pm ]</font>

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks mike, yea thats where it gets tricky street car or race, i need brakes to stop this thing and have to sit at idle for periods of time, how far is too far? where do i stop? my old combo was very good with at with the HR cam and vic jr manifold with 10'' converter and 3.89 gears but the motor was burning oil and found out my heads had crappy hardware on it so they are getting redone as we speak otherwise she was pretty quick, i just need to up the hp to where i need it and be done with this engine for good, 500 to 530 hp and streetable would be nice.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Solid rollers are NOT maintenance free. Agressive solid rollers require a LOT of valve spring pressure... which puts a LOT of stress on the rest of the valvetrain. Periodic inspection and maintenance is a requirement.

If you want to 'build it and forget it' you will proably be in the market for a hydraulic roller and set of the link bar lifters.

Be SURE to check and adjust the valvetrain geometery. It's GOT to be RIGHT or you'll wipe the guides out in no time, which will cause it to drink oil and wipe out the valve job since the valve won't be hitting square on the seat. Max of 0.080" sweep front to back, and centered pretty well on the guide. Use an adjustable length pushrod to find what works best.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea thanks mike, im thinking that the Hr setup for street might be better off, i dont have time to keep checking the valve train and always buying new parts, i have made good power with the HR cam but this time im getting the crane tie bar lifters instead of that retro crap i had on top. thanks.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm all about solid rollers... the HR is okay but the SR is more fun. I disagree about the constant adjustment. Twice checked in two years. No change found yet. About 1K miles.

Check out the dyno runs on the dyno forum. I popped the topic back to the top of the heap over there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts