Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. how to adjust the valves? [1]bring piston to top dead, both valves closed make your adjustment. [2] or have exhaust valve open and adjust the intake, then bring intake valve all the way down and have it one quarter on the way up adjust the exhaust. : thank you

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use the 1 up 1 down method , though you must watch your not on the overlap frpm one lobe to the other. Hope this helps ........

-PONY1

·
Registered
37 Posts
turn the crank in running direction till the exhaust just starts
to open, (now set your intake lash), then turn the crank till the intake comes up and past full lift and goes back down about 2/3 off the way back down, (now set your exhaust)

this is the way I was taught, and it is also
the same way comp cams explains how to do it.

Safety check after you have set them all,
crank the engine by hand 2 full revolutions
to check for any binding, any binding and your wont be able to turn the engine by hand.

good luck

·
Registered
314 Posts
I do mine both valves onthe same cylinder at the same time. Mark the damper at 0° and then every 90°. Basically just draw a big X on the damper. Start with #1 at 0° TDC. Adjust lash on both I and E. Turn the motor 90° to the next mark on the damper. Adjust the next cyl in the firing order. Repeat.

When you have finished you will have turned the motor 2 revs by hand, 90° at a time. Simple, easy to keep track of and you don't have to worry about overlap as both valves are closed at TDC.

Later,

David Cole

1 - 4 of 4 Posts