Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was convinced I had a fuel issue.

No CODES. Seemed to get better with a new fuel filter.

Took car to shop today and they checked fuel pressure is okay. Also verified that my running 90 test on injectors was correct. No fuel issue.

Old Ford Tech working there remembered an issue with a failing "spout" on the distributor advance being commonplace. Once he replaced that with a jumper the problem was solved.

Pulls strong all the way to 5800 redline in both 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was convinced I had a fuel issue.

No CODES. Seemed to get better with a new fuel filter.

Took car to shop today and they checked fuel pressure is okay. Also verified that my running 90 test on injectors was correct. No fuel issue.

Old Ford Tech working there remembered an issue with a failing "spout" on the distributor advance being commonplace. Once he replaced that with a jumper the problem was solved.

Pulls strong all the way to 5800 redline in both 1st and 2nd.

This one of those "YOU ARE SO LUCKY" moments! That sounds like a problem that, hadn't that tech been there, would have cost you a ton of swapped parts. I need to find a place to archive fixes like this for the future. Wonder if it is common for t5 setup as well?? What the heck is a "spoout" anyway??

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
What the heck is a "spoout" anyway??
SPOUT is for SPark OUT. A single wire between the EEC computer and the distributor, with an in-line connector you disconnect to set your base timing. The EEC uses the SPOUT to tell the distributor how much ignition advance to use. Yes, all Ford TFI distributor systems used it.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts