Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering a few things about the 4-speed in addition to the questions I already asked about the 3-speed.

First, how much torque can these things withstand? I understand they are pretty tough... but would one survive behind a 550 HP/600 ft-lb big block if driven mostly on the street and occasionally at the strip, with some 2000-3000 RPM launches on M/T drag radials, in a 3400 lb car w/ driver? What can be done to beef one up and how expensive is it?

And another question, what other transmissions share the toploader bolt pattern? I.e. is it possible to bolt one to a GM (Muncie) bellhousing, for instance?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Hmmm ... considering you "note" that it's mostly driven on the street ...

My Toploader has held up fine to a Nasty A$$ 351C 4V for five years of "less than easy living"

And now to another several thousand miles of life behind a 468 cubic inch Big Block ... and in a somewhat heavier car to boot.

ZERO transmission problems ...

I rebuilt my toploader several years before the 351C ... use/mild-abuse ...

On the average a good Toploader is tough ...

But ... if it's fried before you get it ...

all bets are off

or so it seems to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 10/18/06 8:09am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
On 2006-10-17 17:02, MonsterMach wrote:

On the average a good Toploader is tough ...
Very well put.

I have been beating the bejesus out of mine for the last few years. It has been living behind a pretty stout windsor stroker for quite some time now. Now that it is in my cougar which seems to wear slicks more than street tires I've went with n2omike's advice and purchased a RAM sintered iron disc and an adjustable pressure plate. That might be why it has managed to withstand the 6000 rpm launches with slicks for as long as it has.

If anything I own evolves into "race only" I'm going with this setup. http://www.libertysgears.com/proshift.htm
I have an odd fascination with this setup. Too bad it's not street friendly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! One more question- will a 4-speed bolt right in place of a 3-speed, in general? I suppose the 3-speeds were only offered with the small input shaft. But are all the dimensions and bolt pattern the same? (If both trannys were from Mustangs, I mean.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shiftless on 10/21/06 9:05am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
On 2006-10-20 17:20, shiftless wrote:
Thanks for the advice! One more question- will a 4-speed bolt right in place of a 3-speed, in general? I suppose the 3-speeds were only offered with the small input shaft. But are all the dimensions and bolt pattern the same? (If both trannys were from Mustangs, I mean.)
I've done the swap a few times. The transmissions are more or less the same size. The bolt pattern is the same. You can use the same, mount and driveshaft. Of course the shifter is different. It's a very straight forward swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, that's all I need to know. Actually the reason why I was asking is because I have been looking into using one of these trannys behind my Cadillac motor. I discovered that the "Dearborn" tranny used by many GM cars in the 60s was actually the 3-speed toploader. Therefore I can use one of those factory bellhousings and bolt the 4-speed right to it, for an inexpensive and strong manual tranny option!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts