Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant quite figure out what some noises are on my 71 torino 500..

the first one is a creaking kind of sound when I turn the steering wheel either way, it sounds more on the driver side than the passenger. Would this be my tie rod ends? Or more something in the power steering?

The second is whenever I hit a bump or anything it is some kind of jingling sound like if you had a metal pipe, with metal rings around it and shook the pipe... the rings would jingle. It sounds more passenger rear but I cant single it out.. I doesnt do it on idle, or while driving on some straight level ground.. I checked the exhaust hangers etc and it doesnt do anything Ive shaken all I could think of.. i

ts so annoying and people give you looks in the parking lot when your car is nice looking but jingles and creaks AHH!!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Do you have hub caps? Remove them and see if the jingle goes away. Grease the front end and see if the creaking sound improves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I bought some spray grease thats made for areas that are exposed to the elements (such as the tie rod ends) lubed it up good and then drove it a bit to work the grease in.. no dice still does the creaking.. I wonder if its further in the steering system.. like the power steering??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts