Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 351 Cleveland that had been sitting for around 10 years. I tore it down and it needs to be bored and have the crank turned. I want to use my stock 2V open chambered heads and then when i save up the money buy a set of aussies. It would probably get a cam, intake, and exhaust.

If i went with around a 9:1 compression ratio, how could i just bolt on the aussies and my compression would be in a range that i could make 400-450hp with the right cam and port work?

Could i use something like a 750 carb so i dont have to buy a new one as soon as i get my new heads?

With a pretty mild engine like this, does the rotating assembly have to be balanced?

What else would all have to be done to make that combo work. I know new valve springs, lifters with the new cam. I suppose i would need to get a new valve job. What does one of those cost?

One other option i have is this, i have a 302 that ran pretty well last summer, it has around 100K on it so i think it would be pretty tired. I was thinking of just putting a cam, intake, and exhaust, then just build the cleveland to my high powerlevels. My only worry is that the rings and such on the 302 would be so worn that even with the cam and other things it would still be quite tired.
I think i would be much happier with the mild cleveland then the mild 302, it would also be a better value for me to go with the 351 becasue i would have many of the parts i need, and then just add on as i get the money.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks for the help.

Edit: street 73 mustang coupe with T5

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sharpshot71 on 2/28/06 9:12am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sharpshot71 on 2/28/06 9:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
1) if you start at 9:1 the regular Aussie iron heads will send your compression to about 11:1.

2) Zero deck the engine, CC then cut the existing heads to shoot for about 74cc. Always balance the engine if you replace the stock parts. USe a nice set of Speed Pro forged pistons and moly rings, your compression will be around 9.3:1. Run a 224~230 intake duration cam and the 750, use a Weiand 2V intake and you should have around 380~400Hp. Expect to spend $600~1000 on the heads, depending. You should NOt run the stock valves if at all possible. Figure you'll spend 200~300 just on the raw Aussi casting and you'll begine to wonder why anyone buys them at all.

NOTE: max ported 2V heads - either US or Aussie - will support maybe 420HP max. I'm sure John Kasse could do more but none of us are John Kasse. If you want more, invest in a set of AFD or CHI heads for the engine.

Review things over here: http://351cleveland.net

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i think i am getting this, deck engine, mill heads to 74 cc chambers, with the combo you suggested and stock ports i could get near 380hp? New valves and springs most likely.

More questions.....
1.summit has a rebuild kit with speed pro forged pistons 1.5 cc dish, says would give around 8.9:1 compression with 76.2cc heads, would decking the block and milling to 74cc get me where i want with compression?

2.What would happen if i used the stock valves? I know they arent as good as aftermarket, but this is a budget moter remember. Would i be really really pushing it using stock valves?

3. What kind of cost would i be looking at lets say decking the block, milling the heads,and a valve job? I know it varies so much by area, just an idea.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
That works out to 9.7:1. Locally, deck is $140, mill is $40/head, valve job is $225. You can get that done cheaper here, but you won't be driving the car very long. I just refreshed the 302: hone, deck, mill, all the gaskets and seals, rings, etc - $700.

Stock valves - this is what can happen with stock valves - 4V 351C, new stock Manley valves, 1400 miles:

You decide where the economy is. It cost $3500 to repair this damage.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 02 Mustang V6 rag top, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 3/1/06 5:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I second what Chris has said. I had a 351C 2v that puked a valve too after a cam upgrade). I kept the valve as a reminder to ditch the stock valves when upgrading..Heck I even have that head still, I use it to show "this is why you upgrade stock valves" for my buddies.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i am getting this. Could i for sure expect somewhere near 400hp with this machining done and right combo of carb, cam ect?

What about getting the heads machined for stud rockers, not needed for this? Could i just use the pedistal rockers?

Will i have to do any other upgrades, ignition?

You have been an awesome help thanks.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
You can use the Crane adjustable rocker conversion. It's good up to about .550 lift. You can get near there. My ET slips say about 320 RWHP, more or less. I really don't care about HP - I care more about making sure that things are matched up and working well together.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With my 2V Aussie Heads I ported them and then polished the bowls and then CC'ed them, they were all right at 59-60cc.
I don't believe there is space to mill the heads down to 74cc, unless you cut the bowls for more volume, the closed chambers were really small. After measuring all the other dimesions off of the engine I came up with the compression being about 10:3 to 1. You'll want to just go through everything though it will save things from breaking later, new one piece valves, roller rockers, I would get screw in studs if you are getting the heads rebuilt with valves and springs somewhere it won't cost much more to get this done.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I was talking about milling US 2V heads. They start in the 76-78cc range - maybe. Better check first, never know. I pulled some 4V open heads off a Mustang, one head averaged 72 cc. Not normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.