Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone stole the license plate of my Galaxie tonight. i dont know who otherwise id castrate them. normally its not a BIG deal but this was my original black plate. so now i have to get a set of white plates for the car most likely. i still have a front plate for the car, but i have to report it. the car has no bumpers on it right now, no back window, is very ugly at the moment and parked on a busy street that is known for alot of towing incidences on the weekend. the car looks soooo much like an abandoned vehicle right now without the plate its not even funny.

im pissed. im very pissed right now.

XVK 997 if you see that out there kick them in the nuts and take my plate back for me. ill pay even.

1968 Galaxie Fastback -390, disc brakes, Fully built Wide ratio C6, 3.89 detroit Locker. 428 on the way.

2004 Ford Ranger XLT - the new daily driver. 3.0L, 5spd black

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sixt9coug on 6/4/06 2:28pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sixt9coug on 6/4/06 2:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dont report nothing to those greedy bastards in this f****d up state!!
Just get the dimensions from your other plate and make another one from a piece of metal, paint it black with the yellow characters and you're set!
I highly doubt that any cop is gonna notice that its a homemade "repro".
You might have to get creative though with the raised portions of the numbers and letters.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
That sucks! He still has to report something because they took the back plate with tags.

I would go in and tell them they took your tags only. If they want proof, bring in your front plate and tell them they were in back. Maybe they are stupid enough to believe it eventhough you won't see any signs of stickers ever being mounted on them.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I am not advocating any company or suggesting what you should do.

However, there are license plate restoration services that can cleanup, repaint or even duplicate license plates.

A search using " license plate restoration" as keyword will turn up a fairly long list of services. From there you can make a better informed decison as to where you want, need to go with this.

If it was me...I'd try very hard to keep the black plates on the car. The newer plates just don't have the same class ... which is pretty obvious, since someone thought enough of them to steal yours.

http://www.tagdr.com/

... http://www.darrylsplates.com/ ...
We have color formulas for almost every plate made! We custom mix original colors for each plate for thousands of combinations.
Duplicates of your existing plate can be made using your plate as a mold; you must have an existing plate to copy. Call for more details. $50.00 each.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/4/06 11:39pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Check first with the BMV. If you report it, they will most likely put the number in the system as a stolen plate, so you wont be able to use the number or the other plate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i already reported it. the car sits on a busy public street so i needed proof of something happening just in case the local authorities decided they wanted to tow the car away. otherwise i might have kept it hush hush. ill talk to the DMV about it tomorrow though. the cop said that with collector cars they sometimes show leniency. we shall find out. this sucks though!

either way, im not surrendering my other black plate.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Oh, around twenty years ago, I used to park my Model A in a notch right off of an alley. Late one day noticed the rear plate was stolen. So, went to Dept. of Motor Veh. next afternoon for another pair. They gave me something ending in a 273.

Next morning, I come out to drive it. Go down the block and get stopped by a squad car. Officer say no front plate. "That can't be, for I just bought a set and placed it on last night". Yup, it was gone. Supposedly the thief came that night to retreive the front plate, not noticing that it did not ahve same number.

Instead, I just drove over to the D.M.V. and stood in line, got another pair.

"Weren't you here late yesterday?"

"Yup, got the other one stolen overnight."

He gave me something which ended with a 274, the very next one up in the stack.

I put them on.

Two days later, the rear is gone again.

I drive over to D.M.V. and as walk in door the clerk is already pointing at me. This time instead of one off the stack, I get the customized plates. It takes two weeks to arrive, cost yet more, but never got stolen since.

Thats four, (three new) sets of plates on the Model A within two weeks.

Lucky I didn't get stopped by police, for their computer would of said plates were no good. It even happens today.

Wm.

Wm.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would put a note on the car stating your plate was snached, and that the car is not an abandoned car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a person that goes to the long beach performance swap meet every month that deal with license plates. He sells plates and restores them. He can even make you a new plate from acrylic or metal. I was lucky to have the original plates for my galaxie, they need a little fixing up so I have take to this guy a few times and feel confident in his work. Prices range depending on how bad the plates are. The acrylic plates are cheaper the the steel plate. This guy has been going to the swap meet for the last couple of years that I have gone so I dont feel he's no fly by night shop. The swap meet is this weekend, june 11 at verteran stadium in long beach

·
Registered
559 Posts
First wish to thank Beoweolf for the great link to that plate restorer. Sorry about hearing of the loss of one plate, here's 20/20 hindsite, the person that took the plate probably wants to hang it on a wall, stands out too much to put on a stolen classic or any other car, you could have just moved the front to the back and got new stickers then have the front one reproduced. Not sure what the DMV will do for you once it's in the system that the original plate(s) are reported as stolen. I have some extra pairs of black Calif plates, all need to be restored but if the DMV will let you go that way I have a set available.
Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts