Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Spare tire covers in '63?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  r.n.r.racing 
#1 ·
I used to have a 64 1/2 Mustang with the plaid trunk mat, spare cover, and tool bag set. Looked really nice. I ordered a trunk mat for the Galaxie and got an idea. In thinking of a stealth place for the subwoofer I thought of making a box the size and shape of the spare tire, mounting it to the threaded bracket, then tossing a tire cover over it.

Is that still "period correct" to use those covers? As some of you know, I'm not after a true full restoration or factory perfect look. Just doing some modern updates and want it to look like it might have come factory. That and I'm wanting a nice sound system that isn't visible at car shows and cruise ins.

Trunk pics anyone?

#2 ·
No, seriously, anyone? I'm probably going to just stick to my plan even if it's not correct for the car, it will still look 60's correct-ish. I would however like trunk pics if anyone has any of a nice factory styled trunk. I'm trying to visualize the area behind the seat. Is there a panel or can you see the burlap in the seat? I'm also trying to decide if I should put the amp upside down under the package tray, or if it would be too noticeable there.

#3 ·
I have never seen a spare tire cover used in a Galaxie. Since you are not staying 100% stock, I think it is a good idea to hide the subwoofer under the cover.

I only have one picture handy of my trunk and it is a '64, but will be close to your '63. Pay no attention to the junk in the trunk. The spare is mounted in the stock position with the stock hold down. Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

#4 ·
That's what I suspected about the covers. I thought the jack was supposed to mount across the tire and you just confirmed that. I think I will just go with the tire cover plan though. Like you said, I'm not after 100% stock, and most folks won't even think about it. I think the absence of the jack would be more of a clue than the tire cover anyway.

Thanks for the pic, definitely helps. Oh, also, I can't tell, is there anything between the seat and the sheet metal? If so, what? I hate the looks of the burlap showing on mine.

#5 · (Edited)
Oh, also, I can't tell, is there anything between the seat and the sheet metal? If so, what? I hate the looks of the burlap showing on mine.
My car isn't here with me so I can't go and look at it, but if I remember right there is nothing between the back of the seat and the sheet metal. I have seen the three piece cardboard sets for the trunk for sale before. Not sure if this is some kind of option or what the deal is with the third piece. The shape of it looks like it would fit behind the rear seat. Mine only came with the two pieces, one piece by each drop off on the sides.

Here is a link to the three piece sets that I see all the time for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-6...t=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.