Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after not having a spare or a jack for that matter for the last two years, I think it's time for me to stop living on the edge. I noticed that Ford lists a 4X2 and a 4X4 jack, both with the same lift capacity (and same number on their parts diagram). However, the 4X2 model is 1/3 of the cost. Is there really any difference between the two that won't allow me to use the 4X2 model on my 4X4 truck? I can't really justify $250 for a spare tire jack when I can just get a cheap Crapsman jack and throw it in the bed. My truck is a 95 F-150 4X4.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am not sure what the difference is between the two, but I can tell you from experience that the 4X2 jack is a PITA to use. After I got a flat on my '92 and had to use that thing, I went out and got a cheap little floor jack and threw it in the back for next time. The really long handle of the stock jack makes it hard to use and when you try to wined the handle, the jack wants to just flip over. You would be better off and probably money ahead to just get one of those cheap small floor jacks that come in a plastic carrying case.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dully noted. What boggles my mind even more is, my dad has had every generation of Ford truck from 7th to present Super Duty. Every one of his jacks has looked the same in everyone of his trucks, and looking it up with Ford, the post 96 jacks are $105, even with the same illustration number. And for the newer trucks, the only distinction is capacity. So I'm lost at what the heck is the difference.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts