Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nothing beats the autolite. Bosh i have heard ok too. dont go with splitfire for sure, and have heard different opinions for platnium plugs

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I would suggest that finding the correct heat range will be more important than brand.

You didn't indicate if this is a new motor or what ... but if it is and the compression ratio has been changed ... heat range will be the priority question ...

In my opinion

·
Registered
976 Posts
Autolites!NGK also makes a verrry good plug...like the man said though,finding the correct heat range is very important.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apology for assuming that yall are mind readers, but I was hoping hear about a specific brand name and specific plug # and heat range that you are running and why. My combo is street/strip situation. It's a new motor/9.5:1 hyper flat tops/351W heads - big valves. I'm wanting to find a substitute for the old Motocraft/Autolite BF 32 (possibly a shade cooler???). that maybe is comparable to this plug since they are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, its great to know all of these super product names, but my question still stands. What is the number (part no., plug no. or heat range no.) on the plug that you would run with this combo
?

·
Registered
30 Posts
oyu will have to verify the plug will work for the 351 head, but i am running Autolite Platinum AP764. these plugs are called for the '93 H.O. heads.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
backdft21 - it sounds like your combo is pretty close to mine. I'll research the # for it's heat range. Anybody using NGK's plugs on an iron 351W head w/MSD? The book called for a #WK5 or something like that to cross with Autolite or Motorcraft's BF42, BF32 and BF22 plugs. This is quite a long span of heat ranges for 1 plug to cover!!! It doesn't make sense, at least to this idiot.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
NGK Motorcraft
AP8FS crosses to BF12
AP7FS crosses to BF22
A6FS crosses to BF22

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I thought I'd add the one bit of info no one else has. NEVER RUN CHAMPIONS!!!! They suck, are a waste of money, and belong in the garbage can right next to fram filters.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is some interesting info. from MSD tech":

Dear Sir,

We do not have a preference to spark plug brand, brand of choice. We do offer a starting point to get you started COMPRESSION SPARK PLUG GAP up to 10.5:1 0.050"-0.060"
10.5:1-13.0:1 0.040"-0.050"
above 13.0:1 0.035"-0.045"
Open gap in 0.005" increments until best performance is obtained. The only thing we do recommend is to stay away from "hype plugs".
Thanks
MSD Tech

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 4:28 PM
To: Joe LaPille; Joe LaPille
Subject: Spark Plugs

Dear MSD,

I have a MSD billet distributor and MSD 6 box on my 302
Ford engine. I can tell that I am getting an extremely
hot spark out of this setup. My question is this, what
specific spark plug should I use in conjunction with
this application?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is anybody else running an old iron 351W head on about a 9.5:1 302 with a MSD or equivalent setup and if so, exactly what plug are you using - brand name, heat range, gap and part number. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
NGK "V" power plug.
Part 6945 UR45
.048 gap

This is the recommended plug for a 89 GT Mustang, and that is what I used to determine what to use for my early stang with those heads. The heads are the same unles you have an early 351 head with the bigger valves. I made 282 HP with this engine combo with those plugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts