Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nothing beats the autolite. Bosh i have heard ok too. dont go with splitfire for sure, and have heard different opinions for platnium plugs

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I would suggest that finding the correct heat range will be more important than brand.

You didn't indicate if this is a new motor or what ... but if it is and the compression ratio has been changed ... heat range will be the priority question ...

In my opinion

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apology for assuming that yall are mind readers, but I was hoping hear about a specific brand name and specific plug # and heat range that you are running and why. My combo is street/strip situation. It's a new motor/9.5:1 hyper flat tops/351W heads - big valves. I'm wanting to find a substitute for the old Motocraft/Autolite BF 32 (possibly a shade cooler???). that maybe is comparable to this plug since they are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
oyu will have to verify the plug will work for the 351 head, but i am running Autolite Platinum AP764. these plugs are called for the '93 H.O. heads.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
backdft21 - it sounds like your combo is pretty close to mine. I'll research the # for it's heat range. Anybody using NGK's plugs on an iron 351W head w/MSD? The book called for a #WK5 or something like that to cross with Autolite or Motorcraft's BF42, BF32 and BF22 plugs. This is quite a long span of heat ranges for 1 plug to cover!!! It doesn't make sense, at least to this idiot.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I thought I'd add the one bit of info no one else has. NEVER RUN CHAMPIONS!!!! They suck, are a waste of money, and belong in the garbage can right next to fram filters.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is some interesting info. from MSD tech":

Dear Sir,

We do not have a preference to spark plug brand, brand of choice. We do offer a starting point to get you started COMPRESSION SPARK PLUG GAP up to 10.5:1 0.050"-0.060"
10.5:1-13.0:1 0.040"-0.050"
above 13.0:1 0.035"-0.045"
Open gap in 0.005" increments until best performance is obtained. The only thing we do recommend is to stay away from "hype plugs".
Thanks
MSD Tech

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 4:28 PM
To: Joe LaPille; Joe LaPille
Subject: Spark Plugs

Dear MSD,

I have a MSD billet distributor and MSD 6 box on my 302
Ford engine. I can tell that I am getting an extremely
hot spark out of this setup. My question is this, what
specific spark plug should I use in conjunction with
this application?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
NGK "V" power plug.
Part 6945 UR45
.048 gap

This is the recommended plug for a 89 GT Mustang, and that is what I used to determine what to use for my early stang with those heads. The heads are the same unles you have an early 351 head with the bigger valves. I made 282 HP with this engine combo with those plugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts