Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there one brand that's any better than the others? I'm going to buy a new set pretty soon. I'm just curious about whether or not a $23 Taylor wire set is as good as a $68 Mallory set. They are for my Duraspark setup on my 460, street driven daily driver. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Troy

·
Registered
270 Posts
IMHO the only plug wires that are worth a darn for performance are either MSD super conductors, or AcCel 300+ wires. Both are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Granted that you can get a set of cheap wires and never have any problem with them, yet your possibly leaving some performance on the line. I work at a local auto parts store, so one night while we were not busy I got a multimeter out and measured the resistance of our plug wires. We have the Accels (both the superstock SS, and 300+, MSD, Autolight, and Borg Warner. ) The only ones that had a low low resistance were the MSD and 300+. All others were the typical plug wire with 1500-3500ohms of resistance per foot, this is what the factorys use. If I recall correctly I measred 63 ohms per foot on the MSDs, and the Accels were just a tad higher. Whatever you do don't buy taylor wires. I've had horrible arching problems with the one set I had and I told myself never again...

·
Registered
31 Posts
no no no no no.. man I had to join these boards for this one thing.. SOOOOOOOOOOOO many people are clueless when it comes to plug wires. LOW RESISTANCE DOES NOT EQUAL GOOD!

Check out magnecor.com, they explain it better than anyone I've ever encountered.

Matt

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think that most of the major performance wires are good. Not much difference in performance between them.

I run the MSD 8.8 Super Conductor's for one reason vs Taylor, etc. You can get them with 90°, 135° or a "multiangle" boot. The multiangle boot is straight to start with, but you can bend it to any position and it will stay there. The boot has a stiff wire or something inside it that holds it shape. Great for making header clearance better. You might need a 90° boot on one cylinder, straight on the next and then a 45° or what ever.

As far as Magnecor goes, I put them in the same category as Amsoil. They prob have a decent product, but if they were right and everyone else is wrong I'm sure that the professionals that make their living racing would have discovered these miracle products and you would see nothing else in use.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 3/14/02 1:12am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've run Ford motorsport wires the last 3 years, and love them. Not only are they custom cut to fit, but they're numbered as well. (so an idiot like me can't screw them up), (that's if they're on the cap right)..........

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
MSD Super Conductors are top notch. After running a set for several years, I decided to replace them with something cheaper... The cheaper set is now sitting on the shelf after buying ANOTHER set of the Super Conductors. The quality is there. They ARE a better product.

Realistically, as long as you've got a good SPIRAL CORE wire, chances are you're fine. Accel 300+ is good, but the worst wires out there are also made by Accel... the Accel Super Stock (non spiral core). These are sold at most parts stores, but are completely worthless. A buddy had a turbo Buick equipped with these that was missing under load. I took one look under hood and told him to get some real wires. After replacing them, the miss disappered.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
No matter what brand wire you buy , they should be spiral core. The solid wires are good for racing only but should never be used on a late model street set-up. They give off too much RFI. There are many good wires available. The MSD's are okay though their ready made sets fit like they were built for something 3 sizes larger than what you have. Jacobs makes some fine wires that fit very well. They also have some big dollar wires with ceramic ends.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I run MSD super conductors, haven't had any problems at all. They were expensive, but trouble free operation was worth it.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plus, the Motorsport wires have the all-important Blue Oval on them.
I like how they have a 45* boot. I was looking at my Summit catalog last night and a set retails for0 $47.95/set. I've got some cheapo Napa brand wires on there now that I spent $40 on a couple of years ago and they suck. I have them earmarked for death. I just need to get out the credit card now and make a phone call.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ok... I want to stick to black wires, for the more stock lok. tht takes me to the accel 300+ ...Do you really have to get universal and cut them down or are the 33+ ready fit ok???

·
Registered
330 Posts
N2omike. You mentioned the Accel Super Stock wires. Are these the solid core 8mm wires? I installed some on my car after cutting them down(they were the universal wires) and my car ran great. I was using 7mm wires before this. I had considerably more acceleration in my car. Keep in mind this is with a breaker type ignition system though. Did his wires go bad after time, or was this happening from the beginning? I am asking because I would rather not have any suprises.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've been away to darn long. I forgot how much fun this place was. ...I may as well give this 10 year old discussion a little bump.

I need to replace my very...very old MSD Helicore 8mm plug wires, that I have been using on my 302 engine for a good 8-9 years now. I seldom drive my T-bird anymore...it has been parked for about 3 years. Yesterday I decided to do something with it. I installed a new battery and realized that two of the plug wires had cooked and severely melted up against my header tubes... so time for a new set.

I haven't bought plug wires for so long, seems that MSD doesn't even make these blue 8mm wires anymore.

Any thoughts about wire sizes for this street driven engine?

...8mm vs. 8.5 or 9mm wires? Its been so long I'm not really sure which way to go. I run an MSD ignition system coil and distributor.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
looks like MSD served you well . why change brands ?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
no no no no no.. man I had to join these boards for this one thing.. SOOOOOOOOOOOO many people are clueless when it comes to plug wires. LOW RESISTANCE DOES NOT EQUAL GOOD!

Check out magnecor.com, they explain it better than anyone I've ever encountered.

Matt
Yea man! You know it. Just like higher resistance wires are not bad.

I'm going to have to state it again:

The resistance/impedance of the spark plug gap is soooooooooooooo much more than the plug wires that the energy transfer is nearly 100% for even the most resistive plug wires.

Just as impedance implies....the plug gap is impeding the energy much more than 1000 ohms of a plug wire. When that gap ionizes and the spark jumps the gap, the voltage across the gap is many thousands of volts while the voltage drop across the wires is very small in comparison.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts