Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put 6 x 9's in the back of my 89 gt but they wont mount anywhere good so they dont sound great. could someone please tell me what i could do or what they have done cause im sure someone has done the same thing. thanks alot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are to wide to fit and when i got the car they had some 6 x 9s already in it but they were just shoved in there and were loose and i was hopin to mount them but i cant even fit them in there straight.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
well you cant put 6x9 in the 87-93 hatch mustangs. They require either a 5x7, or better yet a specific Ford/Mazda 6x8 speaker. Pioneer makes a great 6x8 that fits right in, no mods. Go to http://WWW.CRUTCHFIELD.COM and type in 6x8 and see what it says/shows.

·
Registered
359 Posts
you could always put the speakers in boxes, since the boxes are seal they will give you better sound than putting them in the pannels

maybe even put some HX2's back there

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used 6x8 Alpines and stuffed the cavity behind the grill panels with poly fill. You won't get great sound out of that location no matter what becuase it's not sealed up well enough or rigid enough anyway. Run a crossover and send everything under 100hz to a sealed sub with a seperate amp - like a 10" or 12" in the hatch. Kinda my opinion, but I like the punchy tight sealed sound better. Of course 2 drivers would be louder as will a larger amp. Whatever you prefer. Also don't bother putting the 6x9's in those stupid little sealed boxes you may have seen. Most all 6x9's are designed for free air applications ( trunks ), not little boxes like those and they'll sound like crap.

·
Registered
166 Posts
in my 87, i had 2 10" for the lows, and sent the highs through a pair on 4x6 speakers ment for indoor stereos. worked great till i had to sell my amp

i could never get the speakers in back to sound good any other way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed 2 6x9 Sony xsv-6943 speakers (4 WAY) in those "stupid little boxes" in my RV. do you have any suggestions on making them sound better? Maybe porting the boxes since the speakers are made for free air? How big should the ports be? Or should I go to a smaller (6&quot
round speaker and put them in a box? Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts