Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those are SpeedPro/Sterling pistons. Federal Mogul owns both companies thus the confusion.I'm running a set in my Morris motor and they are a good economical piston but in a 393 unless you have some large cc heads the compression will be too high for pump gas.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
yeah, sterling is a brand of speed pro, as is federal mogul i believe. Similar to Silvolite and Kieth Black

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67stang on 1/16/02 11:30am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
chilly,
do a little research on the pistons if you have not bought them already. We looked at the sterling units for our 5.0L build up articles and decided against them since they had huge valve reliefs that hurt compression ratio. Also if you plan to run TW heads with a sizeable cam, the pistons wont offer the clearance.

·
Registered
749 Posts
From what I have found those pistons have 15 cc valve relief volume and 1.605 compression hieght. You can see the specs on Summits site under Sterling pistons and on Flatlander Racing's site under TRW pistons. Should be no prob for pump gas even in a 393. I m getting 10.17-1 compression with 61 cc chambers(using 9.503 deck hieght and a .039 thick head gasket) In fact I have that same piston in 351w compression height. Just found my 4 yr old reciept and dicovered this.
67stang is right these pistons are a low compression pistons in realty because of the huge valve reliefs. I just discovered that I have only 9.34-1 compression

1 - 5 of 5 Posts