Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys - I have an original 4-speed 63.5 car, but cannot get the speedo to work. The speedo itself seems to work fine if I spin the cable from underneath at the end of the cable with an electric screwdriver, the cable is good, the gear is new, the gear on the o/p shaft of the gearbox is there....

So, I changed the gear on the end of the cable as I went from 3.50 to 3.00 when I rebuilt the differential, and I used a new gear to go on the end of the cable from a toploader - it seems to fit fine but - DO THEY WORK?

The speedo didn't work before I changed the gear and the P/O said he'd changed it to no avail, but it looks the same as the one I fitted (albeit with different number of teeth) so is probably a toploader gear too.

It looks like this one:
http://www.laspeedometergear.com/2012-09-27_12-36-23_76.jpg

Does the T-10 require a special gear for the end of the cable?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jeff ,
Can you see the gear on the output shaft? Which way is the tooth slant from top to bottom Left to right \ or right to left / . It makes a difference on the driven gear and the Galaxie takes a larger diameter drive gear too.
Randy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Randy - yes, top left to bottom right.
Any idea who is likely to stock these things, and what do I ask for? Most companies don't appear to stock a different part for a T-10....

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would just try this .... Visit your local Ford dealer's parts dept, with that driven gear in-hand, and then see what they stock in opposite pitch, and the right tooth count. I'm suggesting it because I spent many years as a Ford parts man, and that was a fairly common occurrence. That skips the whole "by application" process which can sometimes cause frustration for both customer, and counterman. ;)

I had to change gears in my T-10 equipped '64 Gal as well ....and after determining which gear I needed, I just bought it locally (at a Ford dealer). This saves ya all that shipping money, waiting, and/or possibly needing to exchange/return it. Most Ford gears come as a pack of 2 or 3, to them ....so if say you bought the wrong one, I'm sure they'd exchange it out for ya .

Just an idea, and maybe a way to get you going again. :)

ps: Before you stab it back in there for the last time, try and brush some long lasting grease onto the drive gear, because it's steel and there's no oil bath back there on a T-10. The drive gear in my T-10 was solid rust and looked like it was dredged up from the ocean floor --just sayin'. Luckily I was able to come up with a new drive gear !

Hi Randy - yes, top left to bottom right.
Any idea who is likely to stock these things, and what do I ask for? Most companies don't appear to stock a different part for a T-10....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jeff,
The gear for a Mustang is called a "left" and the Galaxie is called a "right" . that is because the speedo gear hole in the tail hosing is on opposite sides. Soooo for the Galaxie you need a XX tooth count "right'' , driven gear. Many parts vendors can supply them. Or I can slip one in the box with the two seals. I have the steel tranny gear as well if you need that.
Randy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy - that is probably singularly the most useful thing I've read about this whole situation.

I've been using the wrong gear! I've been using a toploader 4-speed gear, when I obviously need an auto gear, about 16 or 17 tooth.
So yes, if you have one, drop it in the box with the seals. I'm likely to be back in the US in March or April so I can bring over the 68.5 seal with me then. I'll let you know when I'm going to be there so you can ship the box with the seals and auto gear then.

I am sure that the output shaft gear is good, and good advice from Minn64Gal on the grease for the gear, and Brewboy - re-reading your first post, you called it then, I just didn't understand what I was reading....

Thanks to all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts