Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two mustangs right now, a 65 6 cyl and a 66 8cyl. on the 66, I went from 2.80 gears to 3.80 gears, and the speedometer is off positively by about 15-20mph. The 65 I just got, and i'm not sure why its off - but it is slow by about 15mph. Anyways, they both have 16tooth gears. What do you guys reccomend for each? I know I wont be able to get it exact, but I have to be able to get it better than this. I had heard that they make a 21tooth gear. SHould I use that in my 66? What should I use in my 65?

Chris

·
Registered
809 Posts
I recently had my speedo calibrated to beat a speeding ticket(installing a 23 tooth gear for my 20 made mine off by the right amount
. The operator said each tooth is worth approx 3.5 mph so in that case the 21 should be close.

The 65 is going to need to have the gear changed inside the tranny. As 16 is the shortest gear available.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TurboCoupe50 on 3/3/02 12:32am ]</font>

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey TurboCoupe50, the cop told me to bring down evidence that the speedo was fixed. But I was thinking bringing evidence down as to how much my speedo was off. Is that what you did, showed the judge how much it was off? I really dont want to change the gear inside the tranny, sounds hard and expensive. I just want to beat this ticket, then ditch the car.

Chris

·
Registered
596 Posts
changing the gear is real easy, 1 bolt holds the plug at the end of the cable, and a small clip hold the gear, can be removed with a screwdriver. 5 minute job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts