Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
The Galaxie will have the new 2.75 rear gear in it tomorrow and I just thought about the speedometer being off. I looked for a 14-15 tooth gear for the C6 but can't find one. I've got 26.9" tires on it and the calculators say I need a 14 tooth gear. I think Ford had 2.75 rear gears in some of the Station Wagons so where are gears to fit my transmission. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
There is an outfit that sells a package of maybe 5 gears, one of which will surely fit. You might have to trim the shaft on them though.

I have a gear that is perfect for a 3.25 rear end. Unfortunately have 2 pumpkins, a 3.0 and 3.5. Whichever one I choose I will be 10% off! Thinking about tossing my Autogage mechanical speedo and getting a digital.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
How many teeth do you have on the drive gear (machined into the output shaft)? 6, 7, or 8?

David

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a 7 tooth drive gear. When I went from a 3.00 rear to a 3.25 I ordered another driven gear and it ended up being right on. So, my driven gear is 7. Jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Jim,

My 67 LTD came with a 2.75 rear gear and the speedo gear that was in the C6 was a 16 tooth. Any of the Mustang parts shops will have what ever gear you need for the C6. It will be listed as for a Mustang but all the speedo gears across all models are the same and I paid $8 for a 21 tooth.

You can gladly have my 16 tooth if you think it will work. I honestly can't recall if my transmission drive gear was 7 or not.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
donwhis,
I picked up the car this morning after having the ring and pinion changed and at 60mph my speedometer read 55mph. I know I've got a 17 or 18 tooth gear now so a 16 is what I'm ordering. I haven't found a lower tooth gear and I don't think they make one. Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts