Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My speedometer has been inaccurate since I bought my 62 Country Sedan less than a year ago. It quickly goes to 20 miles an hour when I am only doing 10 mph. The faster I go, the further it gets off. By the time I am doing 70 mph, the speedometer is showing 90 mph. Today I replaced the speedometer with an NOS speedometer and it is still doing the exact same thing. So now I am looking at the speedometer gear in the transmission. I don't know much about them. I remember that they are color coded. How do I know which one I need? My wagon has a 292 with a 2 speed fordomatic transmission and a 3.56 rear end and it came with these from the factory. I'm guessing that maybe the transmission was replaced at some time in the car's life and the new one had a different gear for a car with a different rear end, so that is why I'm now going that route.

·
Administrator
21,889 Posts
Mine was exactly like yours so had to change the little gear at the end of the speedo cable to one with a couple more teeth than the stock one and fixed it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the gear and counted the teeth... it had 18 teeth. My shop manual says it should be a 21 tooth gear. So I bought an NOS 21 tooth gear on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. I believe that will solve my problem. I will post the results when I switch to the new gear. What I don't understand is how the 18 tooth gear got in there. Unfortunately I don't know any of the mechanical history of this car, so I will never know.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Different tire and wheels at one time. They may have to correct the speedo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.