Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this car is a little out of place, a real "high performance car"
. But here goes, my sister has a '99 Mercury Sable and the speedometer sticks at about 70mph. I was thinking maybe the needle was hitting the face and sticking. I was wondering if anybody out there has had this problem with a Taurus/Sable or any other late model car, and is willing to shed a little light on this.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I second the VSS. The "speed sender" just picks up a signal from a reluctor on the transmission output shaft and turns that into a signal the speedo can read.

A buddy has a bas VSS on his car, and sometimes the speedo will read 0, and sometimes it will spike and stay at 125MPH or just jump around.

Should cost you maybe 30 bucks and 30 minutes of your time to fix.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Looking through autozone's online catalog, the sable uses a speedo cable, so disregard the previous post.

Sounds like a bad speedo. Might be a cable, but I don't think it would just stop at 70 in that case. You can try pulling the cable and inspecting the gear/cable.

If it turns ok, take the cable out and lube it up and try it again.

·
Registered
743 Posts
maybe thats as fast as it goes?

sorry, had to

hope you get your problem fixed. If its a bad cable, wouldnt the needle bounce a lot, not stick?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
On 2006-09-28 07:16, pass1over wrote:
hope you get your problem fixed. If its a bad cable, wouldnt the needle bounce a lot, not stick?
Yeah, thats why I didn't think it was the cable.

It sounds like you've got a sticky bearing in the needle (or it's hitting the face) and the magnet can't get the needle to go any higher.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was leaning towards, but wanted to see what everybody else thought. I'll pull the cluster and move the needle through the movement to see if it is hitting the face and see if the bearing can be lubed. I am sure it has a speed sensor with it being a '99.

My dad had a '82 Jeep Cherokee and if it was cold out, the speedo. would jump to 120mph in 1st gear
(Kodak moment
) we always laughed about that when it happened.

Well, thanks so much for the help, I'll see what I can find out whenever I get around to pulling it. Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts