Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when converting to disc brakes, i know you can use the spindles and brakes off of a 65-73 mustang, and 75-80 granada, but what other cars? what about the 74-78 mustang II. I know they have smaller rotors, but they do make kits to change them over to 11" like the granadas. Will the spindles work?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mustang IIs only have a 4 lug pattern. You have to purchase aftermarket rotors to get back to a 5 lug pattern again.

Keep looking for that Granada. You'll find what you need at the right price. Maybe if your real lucky, you'll find a Granada or Versailes with a complete disc rearend to go with your front brake conversion.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, ill keep looking. i have the granada setup on one of my mustangs and im happy with it. now i want to put it on another one. i usually see 2 or 3 granadas at the local yard when i dont need them, but now that i do, there arent any. oh well, they should have some more within the next few weeks i hope

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bigdog the rear brakes in the granada work for the swap over? is there a prefered year or 75 to 79 are all the same? and what is a good price for the disc brake setup,,I think I need to run to the junk yard,just finished with the headers and flowmasters,and flaming river steering gear box plus the tunes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've done a lot of research on the subject. I'm getting ready to do my 67 mustang. You want to find a V8 granada with 5 lung rotors. The V8 granada uses an 11 inch rotor, and the V6 uses a 10 inch rotor. I would use the 76-79 granada, because in 80 they went to smaller spindle (at least thats what I read somewhere). I read you still can us up to the 84 granada if you wanted to. Remember, that if you get the granada set up it may not fit your 14 inch rims and will not fit 13 inch rims. I've read that the granada rotors nose's are beefer and will not fit through the hole in your rim. Also, I've heard that a machine shop can turn the nose's down to fit the rim (I guess that would solve the problem). The brake hoses can be a pain too. I found a company that makes and adapter to fit the granada hoses. I can't remember what the url is at this time. If you want I can email you the url for that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can go to any parts store or hardware store and find a brass fitting to adapt the hoses. You do want to use the 75-79 spindles off a V8 car instead of the straight 6. Dont use the lincoln versaille front spindles because they have a larger lower ball joint hole. the rest of the lincoln stuff is interchangeable. The lincoln versaille is the popular disc brake rearend to use in the old mustang cause it bolts right in, but the replacement parts are too expensive for it to be worth it unless you get the rear end dirt cheap which probably wont happen since people want to sell them for big bucks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one more thing, you will need the wheels off the granada or aftermarket wheels to fit the granada brakes. my stock wheels didnt work, but the torque thrusts i had did as well as my magnum 500s. If you want to use the stock wheels, its better to find a 68-73 mustang with disc brakes. those will work with the stock 14" rims. i have a set on one of my mustangs

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another note of interest. As pointed out the Versailles spindles won't fit the Mustang lower ball joint.

But... there is a guy that now makes a sleeve. It fits over the ball joint and takes up the extra space. Pretty slick piece. Costs $22 per side. Would be worth it it you can get a Versailles setup cheap vs paying more for a Granada. I know where there is one for free that I may get. The disk brake 9" is already gone, but the owner said I can have the brakes and anything else I need.

He also makes sleeves to use the regular Mustang tie rod ends with the Granada/Monarch/Vers spindle. Good if maybe you just rebuilt the front end and have good Mustang tie rod ends (that won't fit the spindles) or if you have a 65-66 with power steering.

The sleeves:
http://www.geocities.com/mustangsteve66/tierodbushings.html

Later

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 2/2/02 5:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am using a 9 inch disc brake rear end that I got out of a 1979 Ford Granada. I paid $100 for it. I was able to completely rebuild it before I installed it into my 1939 Ford chassis,

It took some work to track down all the pieces but the only parts I was not able to find through various part houses was the brake hoses. The ones on my axle were still in good shape so I reused them.

I was able to find rebuild kits for the calipers, new rotors, new bearings and all the axle seals, both inner and outer.

I swapped out the 3rd member to a 3:00 to 1 ratio. The new third member had a standard yoke on it so I was able to do away with the CV joint on the third member that was with the axle assembly.

The most difficult part was getting the emergency brake cables hooked up since I left the Granada cables in the car. I had to build some special brackets and I used cables from a 1972 Torino Station Wagon to get the lengths I needed.

The one oddity that exists with the Granada/Versailles rear brakes is you must cycle the emergency brake fairly often to adjust the gap between the brake pads and the calipers. The rear calipers contain the self adjusting mechanism for the rear emergency brake. Just need to set the e brake every now and then to get everything back in position.

And just for the record, in 1978 and 1979, the Granada could be outfitted with a 9 inch disc brake rear end. You had to order it with a V-8 engine and the axle was an additional option that had to be checked on the order form.

I found mine in the local paper. It was an ad to part out a 1979 Granada. Went over to the house and the car was in the back yard. Somebody had already got the engine and transmission. I looked under the car, saw disc brakes and had the whole thing out in less than an hour. A lucky find.

So, that's the saga of the rear axle in my car.

As for front brakes, I used Granada 11 inch rotors on Mustang II spindles. I purchased a caliper mounting kit from ECI and installed calipers from a 1974-1977 GM intermediate.

Hope this clears up some of the question you may have on Granada rear ends.

Best regards.

·
Registered
80 Posts
'79 would be the last year you could use for your granada swap, in 1980 the granada was shifted to the fox platform with front struts like a late model mustang or t-bird

·
Registered
128 Posts
What about 70's Mavericks and its twins? I know the '74 non-power disc brake master cylinder works well in my setup but I want to know about the actual disc brakes.

When I went to the junkyard to get my granada setup the guy mentioned that mavericks were the same too. Never heard any confirmed stories of people using this setup.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya, i think ive heard that to, i think you can use the mavericks up to 73, just make sure its a V8 car which is probably harder to find than a granada

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you dont want to use differnt fittings and adapters for the hoses, you can have some made up. A local hose shop can whip up some braided ones for you, with all of the right fittings so they look clean. Around here you have to say its for your "track car" because they cant sell them to you if its for a street car, cause they arent DOT approved. Plus you get the better braking from the braided lines, as they dont flex (or bulge).

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 2/6/02 3:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do you guys know if a factory Versilles/ Granada rear disk setup can be swapped to a non disk 9"? I've never seen one of these axles before, but I was wondering if theyre setup similarly to the explorer disk swaps.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
i'll not be cutting up my baby any time soon. but what do the spindles and such sell for?

( right now its the only car i got that still works
)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts