Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I've touched a spiral lock, know enough to get the engine together but these things are beatin me up. These are on Keith Black pistons, KB192's, floating pins, std. 302 pistons going in a 393W.
Trying to get the locks in the pistons just how the directions describe, looks so simple, but they just don't want to go in. They look the right size as in they should fit in the groove fine once they somehow get in there, I get one end started and thats about it, seems like I'm pushing so hard with the screwdriver theres a pretty good chance I'll either put a kink in the lock/ or slip and scratch the hell outa the piston/ or jam the screwdriver through my hand.

Sooo, any tricks I should know about? Are they really that hard to get in?
Heres a link to the Keith Black website showing how it's supposed to be done, pretty much the exact same instructions that came with the pistons.
http://kb-silvolite.com/feature.php?action=read&F_id=26

thanks

·
Registered
991 Posts
yep thats how they go in, Is there 2 locks per side?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They gave me enough for one lock per side. I said something about that in the directions and advised to use 1 per side.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
On 2006-10-06 14:08, n2omike wrote:
Stretching it out into a one inch long spiral before you start is the key.

Good Luck!
Yep, that is the trick. Once you know that, it's much, much easier.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
After two or three you'll be a pro. I pull them a bit to expand them and sort of wrap it on my finger, then I use a small screwdriver if I need it as another "finger"

Once you get the tip in, you sort of tighten it into the hole to a point, then they push right it. Its downright fast once you get the routine down

07 HD Street Glide, 96 inch 6 speed, vivid black

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: My427stang on 10/7/06 10:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got them in. The first one was the hardest by far, seems to be a little extra casting material near where the piston skirt sticks out so the whole wasn't actually completely round at the edge. And pulling the lock over the wall of the piston skirt helped a lot, just had to open up the lock a little more than they said to.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Tried to install my spiral lock rings today,first time for me.one ring took about 30 minutes .....:mad:
How hard can it be? Anyone who have a picture installing the ring.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Pull them apart slightly so it looks like an S then start one end and spiral it in.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts