Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced for the first time today the joy of the Spirolox while assembling my Probe SRS slugs onto there rods & all I can say is - wow, bet you seasoned engine builders who use these spring steel muthas all the time have got finger tips made of leather!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
just make yourself a little tool for next time... works like a charm. get a small screwdriver(maybe 1/8 in wide blade) file a "step" about halfway across the blade.start the spirolock and then use the little step to wind the lock into place by pushing down and outward. easy as pie

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Spirolox are one of the few things that I absolutely dread doing. Thankfully, once you get a couple of them in and figure it out, the other 30 aren't quite as bad. First time I did it, I spent about 2 hours on the first ring and probably took 45 minutes to put the other 31 in.

The Mahle pistons have round wire locks. Much easier.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Stretching them out a little makes it a much easier job.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Out sux, in just spread it a little sort of like a snake aroud the tip of your finger, and work it in with a small screwdriver

·
Registered
729 Posts
On 2006-08-03 20:48, mavman wrote:
Spirolox are one of the few things that I absolutely dread doing. Thankfully, once you get a couple of them in and figure it out, the other 30 aren't quite as bad. First time I did it, I spent about 2 hours on the first ring and probably took 45 minutes to put the other 31 in.

The Mahle pistons have round wire locks. Much easier.
I got one better, try putting all the pistons on the rods backwards the first time even after I thought I checked and re-checked.
That sucked badly.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I got one better, try putting all the pistons on the rods backwards the first time even after I thought I checked and re-checked.
That sucked badly.
Ouch! Yeah I bet that DID suck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts