Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was my split block after 75 nitrous passes on a stock block.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Stock ones are cheap, just keep replacing it every 75 passes...........LOL

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Where did it let go on the track? What did the engine do? Did you kill the crank? Were you running a girdle? I run a 125 shot at have about 500HP to the ground. Wish I had an aftermarket block so I would feel better, but just tell me everything will be okay and I can race as long as I want and it will never crack!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cahorne,felt it shutter going into second and down on power and than I lifted.Didn't know what happened! Being on the safe side,being it still ran with NO noise,got it back to the garage and saw oil leaking everywhere. It was leaking from in between the oil pan and timing cover. Motor would still run with NO noises just very low oil pressure and the leak.New than the block split and the crank dropped pulling the mains down causing the leak.And YES,thank God for the main girdle by DSS.It bent the girdle but kept everything from being ruined.My buddy had everything checked after I sold him the internals and everything was still good to use,even the cam!!http://members.cox.net/ran347nosgt/Randy's%20split%20block%20012.jpg

·
Registered
991 Posts
mexican blocks are my favorite

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
That is pretty much what happened to my old 357" windsor. Split the mains right out, just like yours did, except I never did figure out why the oil pressure was low...I just kept running it and paid the price. Pulled 4 out of 5 mains out of the block completely, crank in 4 pieces. I saved 5 rods, 6 pistons, cam and heads. That was about it.

Then, this past sunday I grenaded the 414" windsor. Came out of the burnout at about 6000 and it just lost power, heard a rattle and the car quit pulling like the planetary let go. I revved the engine and it sounded funny....like it was running on 6 cylinders, which it was. Broke the crank right at the rear. The tail of the crank was still in the block held in by the torque converter and 2 piece main seal. The #8 rod was broken at the bolt and straightened out the cap, #4 rod broke about halfway up the beam. The #4 rod and crank throw exited the side of the pan through a big hole, smashed a header tube, and dropped to the ground. It was still running when I killed it...just running on 6 cyls and wouldn't pull. It was a Scat 9000 4" stroke crankshaft. Turned about 7000 max and yes it had a main girdle...didn't do much good though, just something else to get bent up & thrown in the scrap iron pile.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, good luck with the 427 we will be waiting and watching anxiously.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
On 2006-07-05 12:15, cahorne wrote:
Where did it let go on the track? What did the engine do? Did you kill the crank? Were you running a girdle? I run a 125 shot at have about 500HP to the ground. Wish I had an aftermarket block so I would feel better, but just tell me everything will be okay and I can race as long as I want and it will never crack!!!
Not sure about early models, but if it's a late model block chances are you're just waiting your turn.

·
Registered
281 Posts
OK, where is the split between "early" and "late" blocks? I have a '64 5-bolt 289 from a Fairlane and a '79 302 from a Mustang. Which is the better starting point for big power?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts