Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on how to split a differential case? Its a 8". I have all of the ring gear bolts off. I'm trying to get it apart to get to the spider gears.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i did exactly this 1 week ago
it seems that the case is pressed together, i used a big hammer and a small tool to force it apart.
when you look at the case cover you can see all the ring gear bolt holes, but there should be two holes that's not used for the ring, and that's doesnt go all the way through, use the tool and a big hammer to bang it apart ...

i beleve that when you are goung to get it together againg you should use either a press or the bolts with the ring gear to press it together.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
You'll need to get the ring gear off first. A lead, brass, or copper hammer is best. Either that, or use a heavy steel hammer and a piece of wood. After that, there may be a couple screws that hold the case halves together. They will need to come off as well.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, used the BFH and a block of wood, and I got the ring gear off.

zICRONIx, can you explain the tool you made a little more? What does it look like?

·
Registered
977 Posts
When reinstalling the ring gear, some people simply tap-start it and then pull it down with the ring gear bolts. If you have a ring gear that is difficult to install, you can get it on without a press by heating the ring gear. Throw it in your wife's oven for about 20 minutes at 300 degrees. The ring gear will fall right onto the diff. Allow gear to cool to ambient air temp, and season to taste.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've done this several times to get the halves apart after the ring gear is off. (use rubber dead blow hammer for the ring gear)

Use a 1/8"-3/16" drill bit and drill through one side on the flange on the case. Don't drill all the way through the flange on the other side. Just drill far enough into the second side to be sure you have a clean hole through the first side. Do this twice, 180° apart. Then use a punch down in the hole. A few smacks with a hammer and it will come apart. Not too hard.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 6/11/02 11:59am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.