Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got experience of running a spool on the street, The experts say don't do it,a lot of guys do, wht are your thoughts?

·
Registered
848 Posts
my buddy ran one for a while in his 68 firebird. had 14x32 slicks on it and to make any turns he had to let off on the gas, and the tires barked around turns.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes I have and it destroyed the rearend!!! Also noticed the axle splines taking a beating!! If you do,don't do it EVERYDAY and make sure you take real wide turns to give the spool some room so it doesn't load up the axles very much!!! I had it in an 8 inch,so a 9 inch may hold up better!! It cracked the end caps on the carrier from soo much of a stress on a turn!!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I've run a spool on the street and it sucks. My car is mostly a drag car, but I enjoy some limited street use. If you drive primarily on the street, don't get the spool. You will hate it. A Detroit locker is much better. It works well on the street and the trac, but they aren't cheap. Spools are cheap, but you may end up replaceing parts in the rear after you break them. So, you decide what you are willing to put up with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The ulimate (in traction and expense) might be an ARB air locker (4x4 types like them). turn it on and you have a spool, turn it off and you have an open diff.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have been running a mini-spool in my 68 with a 9" for 2 years now with no problems. I drive it at least 3 times a week to work which is 40 miles away. I have yet to have any problems. It is not always fun in a tight parking lot. But just goose the throttle and it will come around.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm not tryin' to be a ****.
Most of the population on this planet can't drive straight down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts