Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been brought up, but I need the info now

What is the Differance between the Spool, Mini Spool and the detroit Locker? I am noticing Price

Thanks a lot
Jeff Given

·
Registered
20 Posts
A spool bolts to the ring gear and physically locks the axles together-no give, A locker replaces the spider gears and will lock the axles together when one starts to spin but will release around corners-give. I don`t know about a mini I have never run one. A full spool is not recommended for street use.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jeff I am assuming you are talking about my unit for sale on Ebay. If you live in Ca. This will be heavy to ship. I don't want to discourage you but you may want to look for something closer to you. I boxed it up last night and I'm guessing it's 75 lbs. or better. I didn't think I needed 4.11's with a 514 and I wanted 31 splines instead of 28. I drove it on the street with a 427, and one of my buddies puts spools under all his "PLAY" cars. Gotta take it easy around corners and don't turn to sharp.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paxtonman, Small world
I wanna think that MonsterMach shipped a set of 80 lb cleveland to Canada (I think) said that was 80 Dollars. I just need the gears by the 13th of January. I found a Detroit Locker 4.11 for 450 on Ebay but that is 31 Spline Axles. I believe I have 28 splines
Well this is a Question here....what can 31 Spline axles be taken out of at the wrecking yard to put in my Mach 1? I got a REALLY good friend that owns a few and will give them to me. Thanks a lot!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's best to stay away from mini spools, especially if the car will ever see drag slicks or aggressive launches. Very basically they are two axles drive gears that are connected through the middle of the carrier and are driven by the pin that normally supports the spider gears. The pin is about 5 inches long and less than an inch in diameter and will not stand up to heavy abuse. The toughest of the works is the regular spool but isn't the best for handling and street manners so they are a little extreme for daily usage. For true dual purpose vehicles lockers or a simple posi will usually work the best.

·
Registered
359 Posts
so what do all or you guys on here think about the powertrax units that are out

I would go to a fuul spool but getting it to the track might be interesting

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Those Powertrax and similar units that just replace some of the "guts" of the original differential aren't really any stronger than the open differential they are replacing. They use the same case!

I'd spend the extra $100-$200 it takes to upgrade to a real detroit locker. You'll have a MUCH stronger, long lasting unit that will have a lot more resale value. DL's are a tad over $400. The last one I bought was $409 from Summit. www.randysringandpinion.com also has good deals on this sort of stuff.

As for the factory traction lock. They are nice and smooth for the street and autocrossing, but are definitely inferior to the DL at the strip. A little more water on one tire than the other results in a "one wheel" burnout... and smoked clutches. As long as you don't go jumping on and off the throttle in and out of turns in the rain, you'll be happy with the detroit locker. As long as you drive like you've got a little sense, road manners won't be a problem.

As for 31 spline axles... Aftermarket Mosers are close to $400 shipped with bearing, long studs and retaining plates installed. Swap meets often produce original 31 spline axles for around $225-$250/pair. I don't know of any other axles that will fit your car, but you're definitely ahead to go 31 spline. Break out the plastic and make it happen. You'd be doing it later on, anyhow.

Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts