Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planing on buying a set of 72-76 dual remote sport mirrors to replace the factory mirror on my 75 . Then I came across this quote on another site: "If you've ever driven a Torino with sport mirrors, you know how useless they are!"...

I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with visibility or if they hold their position OK? I like the way they look, but I'd prefer to see what's behind me.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have a 73 with sport mirrors. The right side mirror has never held position at all while I have owned the car. They are small. I don't know how different they are from standard, but they are definitely not as useful as any late model mirror.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had standard mirrors about 20 years ago, they were fine or at least I didn’t notice anything unusual, I currently have sport mirrors, which look nicer, but not very useful. Slight improvement after convex? glass was cut for the passenger side (to increase field of view). Then again, mirrors today are much larger in general, so nothing from that era will be as usable.

As for holding position, I found mine moved all the time, I think the cabling stretches over time, so I put a tie wrap around the wires where they connect to the base of the mirror; this increased the tension a bit so the mirror only moves sometime when I slam the door by mistake. Make sure that both plastic posts behind the mirror are intact, and their corresponding holes in the housing, if broken the mirror may have tendency to vibrate while your are driving.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I had sport mirrors on my 76 Elite. I found them to be 95% useless. I know most older cars all had small mirrors, but sheesh. On my 78 Cougar, which has sport mirrors, I'm putting power mirrors from a mid 90s Lincoln Town car... much further forward on the doors, and a glass 2x the size of the sport mirror, but I'm not going for an OEM look anyway.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I put sport mirrors on my '73 Montego that originally had only the drivers side rectangle mirror. That original mirror was the definition of useless. I found a set of remote sport mirrors from a '77 Thunderbird for $10 each at the local u- pull-it, and they were even the same color! There is definately a difference in the look of the car, before it looked like a granny-mobile, but looks way more aggressive now. I made a template and drilled away, I did have to pull the door to drill the cable hole, and in the dash to mount the knob, but no biggie. For only $20, I was amazed of the change in the look of the car. The right side mirror definately helps, and best of all: they look as though the car came like that from the factory, and they just plain fit. I'd say go for it, if you can find them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts