Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the thriftys i spotted a '67 stang for $1,700 great running 302, body in great shape needs paint and new vynal top.

Here's the topper, no pink slip. This guy bought a bunch of cars form an estate sale, he says this car isn't on the DMV computer so will only cost about $40 to registar. The DMV says if this is true no problem, but they will have to inspect the car before issueing a registration.

Is this to risky, I want to buy the car for my wife and fix it up for her, if it was only for the track i wouldn't care.

thank in advance.

more than likely I'll buy it, I just wanted some in put.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You have to be sure that the car is in "road-worthy" condition for inspection. So you will have to estimate the cost for putting it in shape. If after this you think it's still a good buy, GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'd be sure of the DMV issues first ... sounds too easy to me.

I bought my 55 F100 with zero paperwork on the car.

Required a seven state "title search" to prove it was not on record in any nearby state. (I had to do 100% of the leg work) Then a statement from the previous owner as to why the vehichle had no paperwork, the previous owner was unwilling to do this, so in the end, I had to get a buddy to write up some "Cock and Bull" story about the truck.

All through the process, every time I went to DMV for anything ... I would just as well have been trying to get title to my Wife's boss's Ferrari

Took about 2 1/2 months to wade through it, but finally gained success.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/30/02 6:32am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
My Mustang come out of a junkyard in California. There was no title to the car. So, we filed for a lost title in Oregone, there was some time before they would issue a title, but they finally did and I have not had a problem since. About 5 years. I say go for it, and double the amount of money you think it will take and triple the time factor. Good Luck.

Ben

·
Registered
698 Posts
Slick, since you live in SoCal, experiences in other states do you no good. As long as the vin is out of the Ca DMV computer, you have a signed bill of sale, and DMV can inspect the car, you'll get it registered and a title. I towed my MachI to the local DMV office for inspection. If you try this with a commercial vehicle, ie pickup, you'll need to get a weight certificate.

Don't be worried about this type of purchase, just check the vin with DMV.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If its too much for you, let me
know I'm in SoCAL, and would
like an older mustang for my
daughter... i'm in Torrance area.
and the title situation is no
real problem, I just did it
with a 77 ranchero.. one day
of getting papers signed.
and I had the car..
let me know
Best
Dave
[email protected]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw it lastnight, not to bad 302 w/street dominator, Holly 4V, straight, good interior, no dash board. here is the killer, it has a vynal top, and the roof is rotted under it..... so it needs a new roof. I'll check the DMV today, but i dunn no, alot of work.

Dave I e-mailed you, if you haven't check yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts