Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to ask a question about spray foam.I have been working on old fords for 40 years.I have ask this question to the fellows when bench talking on a saturday night.Could you use spray foam to fill in the emtpy space in your rocker panels?I was at a do it yourself lumber center and seen where they had spray foam in a bucket of water,with a brick to hold it down.It did not hold any water and was dry on the inside.Would this keep out the water or hold it in to where it would rot out sooner because of no air space.Thanks Rick

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I am pretty sure it would be worse and trap moisture inside. Aircraft manufacturers (Cessna) once put Foam in some of the wing structures and later an airworthiness directive was issued to remove all foam as a deterent to corrossion.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yep, better to just make sure all your drain holes are clear. Knew someone who used to regularly spray WD40 into those types of areas.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Doesn't Ford currently fill the boxed truck frames with foam? I seem to remember seeing advertisements portraying the benefits of that process. There is a difference between an engineered and factory produced process over a DIY, hardware store application with product that may not be intended for that purpose. Spray cans of urethane foam may work well for filling gaps around windows in your house, but may not deliver the desired results in filling enclosed cavities in old car bodies and chassis's.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
It would work, but when that emergency situation arose, the car would probably float but the slightest wave would flip it over.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would say take the floor out of an old boat, and look at that foam. That is enough to discourage me from putting it in a car...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well I am an insulator by trade and I am going to tell you (DO NOT PUT THAT CRAP IN ANY PART OF YOUR CAR) it will cause the condinsation and the chemicals in the foam to react causing an acid that will rot your panels faster then you will want

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
my mark VII had that crap in it from the factory at the inner quarter/door panel to rocker junction- when I dug all the rot out, the worst of it was wrapped around that foam- inside and out...best to keep it dry/ventilated, and clean...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts