Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips for spraying metallica paints......ive paint a few cars with solid colors and they turned out real good....i know that you can get zebra stripes when u spray metallic and i wanna know how to avoid that.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hmm, use a gun with a wide pattern, and make sure and keep the gun swirling (to keep the metalflake in suspension) when you're not spraying.

Also, spray as much of the car at the same time as possible. It's much harder to blend metallic paints.

Don't put it on too thick, because the flake will lay down and it wont look right. Put a bunch of thin coats on first instead of a couple of thick ones like you'd do with a solid urethane or acrylic, and build up to thicker coats.

If you're using multiple small cans of paint, put them all in a bigger can - so you dont have inconsistencies in the amount of metal flake as you go from one can to the next (though this is good practice with any paint)

Maybe Richard will pop up and give you a few tips.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i put a clean (greaseless) marble in the paint gun canister. helps keep the metal stirred up.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
On 2006-07-05 11:45, igo1090 wrote:
i put a clean (greaseless) marble in the paint gun canister. helps keep the metal stirred up.
Thats what I use to do in the old days before gravity feed guns came out . If you use that useless strainer you can still use a marble or ball bearing ,but if you don't use the strainer you can't it will fall to bottom and stop the paint flow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if you not painting the car together be sure to hang the parts like door or a hood or deck lid just like they would be sitting on the or else the metallic can lay different and it will look darker or lighter when you put it back together

1 - 6 of 6 Posts