Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me why my NEW spring perches are both broke, is this unsafe? my friend says , my lowered high tension coils are too tough

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Where did they break? What kind of driving have you been doing?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Oh, and do you know the spring rate? Got a big block?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i used bb cut coils, for a small block. it is broke where the moving mechansim case that holds the bushing meets the other part. hard to explain!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was told by Total Control Products to only use Ford OEM spring perches, supposedly the cheaper aftermarket ones don't last very long. Of course the Ford ones are three or four times as expensive, but if they don't break its worth it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 2 bolts connecting it to the a arm are in tact, no damage. just the inside is knocked(broke) loose on one side...is this unsafe?

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's definitely unsafe. You basically have 500 lb bouncing around in your engine compartment. You could shear off wires and tubing that is under your hood such as gas lines, brake lines, wiring. Your fan could hit your radiator. I have seen engines that slide far enough forward that the drive shaft slips out of the trans. You would not like any of thise things to happen now would you?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited has them in thier catalog. The '67 Mustang part should the same as the '66 Fairlane, my interchange manual doesn't list the spring perches only the control arms and springs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On 2001-12-26 17:45, Steve wrote:
It's definitely unsafe. You basically have 500 lb bouncing around in your engine compartment. You could shear off wires and tubing that is under your hood such as gas lines, brake lines, wiring. Your fan could hit your radiator. I have seen engines that slide far enough forward that the drive shaft slips out of the trans. You would not like any of thise things to happen now would you?
I'd like to see it happen, but to a chevy!
j/k

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOT engine mounts!!! spring perches! the ride is all bumpy, its embarassing, but i dont think it is unsafe, i think they are built to where the a arm holds them in regaurdless, any suggestions?! i sorta scared to take them out because of all the pressure

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
If you use a good spring compressor they come out pretty easy.

I would replace them if I were you.

I kinda see what you mean about being held in place by the a-arms,but under hard acceleration they will probably want to pop out on ya!

I got my new ones for the Falcon from http://www.p-s-t.com for $45 a piece.

Its your call, but I would change them out for new ones.

1995 F-350 XLT SuperCab DRW 460 EFI 2x4~~1991 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 12/28/01 7:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dyno Tom I am not sure about that link you put in there , It sure didn`t have anything to do with cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts