Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I going to replace my bone jarring Mustangs Plus coils and leafs on my V8 Mustang. I'm going back to stock type springs. I'm looking for opinions on which Mustang venders have the best quality coils and leafs for the best prices. Virginia Mustang says their leafs are made buy the original manufacture. Laurel Mountain Mustang has a great price on their leafs, but I don't know who makes them or if they are of good quality.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I buy from Virginia Classic Mustangs, I have found them to be reliable and trustworthy. I know that does not answer the Q but they are good people there.

BTW what springs and coils do you have from Mustangs Plus, I run the GT coil in front and the 4 1/2 mideye leaf in back and it rides pretty smooth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I like my set I got from Canadian Mustang. These are the rears only though, still using the 35 year old stock fronts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Mustangs Plus 620lb. front coils and the 4 1/2 leaf mid-eye leaf springs. If the road isn't really smooth, the ride is terrible.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Serb66, toss the 620`s, they are way to stiff for every day, IMO they are for the road race version of the early mustang not for the street driver, if you want lower in the front go with the GT springs, good ride and a bit lower than stock, if you want cool low, lower the front control arms 1" and use the GT springs, this is where the ride probably starts to get a little harsh for most people who have lived in a ford Taurus most of their lives but it is a good compromise in ride quality, looks, and comfort.

My .02 and its worth about .001

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with the GT coils. How much lower than stock do these springs ride? I'm still unsure about the rear leafs though. I think the 4 1/2 leafs are too stiff, but I don't know how they compare to "new" stock springs, for example, the stock leafs that Virginia Mustang sells. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Just out of curiosity.....how are the shocks on the car? They can cause a ruff ride also. Are they performance or road handling shocks? They may be set too stiff.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The GT springs will lower your car about 1 inch if memory serves me correct. I cant give specs on stock leafs but I have to assume they would be much easier on the back side than any 4 or 4 1/2 leaf that Mustangs plus has.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shocks are Gabriel gas charged and are in very new condition with only about 4000 miles on them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In regards to the Mustangs Plus GT coils, they say in the catalog that they are GT/GT350 springs. I thought that Shelby's had higher rate (480lbs?) springs than GT's. Does anyone know the actual rate of these springs?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
in my opinoin the 620 frong springs aren't all that bad. i run them with a FIRM RIDE kyb gas shocks. i also got 64-66 mustang coils and put them in a73 mach 1 to lower more than 1 inch. i don't really think they are all that stiff. they sure are firm but not head thumbng against the steering wheel or anything. i also have 5.5 leaf springs in the back with a stiff ass air shocks. i did have kybs but i changed it out for the extra .5 inch of raise up in the back.

it's just my preference to have a stiff ass suspension. i drive the thing everyday to school. so i guess it's a daily driver as long as i'm going to school. or runnng around in town on my day's off from work.

common everybody, everybody should be able to get it stiff!!!!!! heee heee heee. just kidding guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts