Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my girlfriends 2000 mits mirage front brakes squeeled when stopping. I'd remove the pads and file them down because they had the shiny haze to them. Well, this worked, but the noise would come back after a few weeks.

Finally had the rotors turned, new pads and bled them. They worked great for a week then started making noise again.

What did I overlook? Something simple I'm missing here?

Thanks for any advice/help.

·
Registered
614 Posts
that blue silicon on the back of the pads, a little of that stuff on the bolts, to heavy of a pad meaning use the cheapos as they have less metallic and will make less noise.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Put on ANTI VIBRATION pads behind the brake pads... anything to absorb the vibration when the brakes are applied and your noise will go away. Bike innertube rubber works for a while.... Aluminum sticky's glued on are the best.

FE

·
Registered
106 Posts
did you replace the pads? or are they from the originals? usually new pads come with small shims that go behind the pads for vibration like FALCON said. if they are originals try some brake parts grease (black crap in a can like antiseeze and is like $20 if you get the good stuff) on the caliper pins, and then make sure the caliper is free on the mounts. good luk sqweaks and leaks are so annoying!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As torinoracer said, I did go with new cheapy pads with less metallic.

New pads came with the stick on alum anti-(do something) stickers/shims and I did put them on on each pad, like falconaround said.

Just wondering why clean pads didn't squeak untill after a few weeks or so.

I'll wait untill after the holidays to take them back down and clean up the caliper pins and mounts.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Either the pads are too hard for the application or your GF is being too easy on them.

BTW are they PF Carbon Metallics? I've never had a prob with them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were the cheapest grade brakes the auto store had.

She usuall drives pretty fast; stop like that also!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That could be the problm also. If you throw on new pads and do some crazy stops w/ them afterwards w/o breaking them in, you'll end up w/ that problem also.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Some of that squeel can be removed if you chamfer the edges of the pads so that there are no sharp corners to catch on the rotor. camfer them about a 45 degree slope to about half way down the side. When the star to squeel again just put on new pads and make sure they are chamfered the same way.

Paul

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
The goo, cheap pads, anti-squeel pans and chamfering can help.

Another trick I've used with some success is to hacksaw a couple of groves into the pads, vertical to the long sides (basically up and down.) Many pads already are already split down the middle, so I just split those too on the same plane.

This allows some cooling and also a place for the dust to escape.

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 12/22/06 6:51pm ]</font>

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll have to chamfer them also when I get to them.

Merry Christmas!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts