Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a good way to fix a squeeky belt other than regular belt dressing. I'm running an '87 mustang motor in an early bronco and during every startup the belt squeeks like crazy at the alternator for a couple seconds until the engine idles down. It's a new serpentine belt too.
Right now I run the alternator wires directly back to the battery. I'm wondering if I add a capacitor or resistor inline if that will fix the large alternator pull.
Or easier yet, does anybody know of a good belt dressing that would fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You should try looking and examining the pully's with the belt removed. There may be varnish that has built up on the pully's themselves that allows the belt to squeel. The problem with the belt dressing is that it allows the belt to slip, which is not what you want happening. I don't know if you can do this, but can you put more tension on the belt itself? Thats what I would do. Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've found that usually belt dressing only makes things worse. Clean all the pulleys with some brake cleaner and replace the belt again. Also make sure the pulleys are all lined up ok. Sometimes they need a little adjusting. I've seen a few P/S pulleys that were too far out and had to be pressed in a little further to quiet down the belt. Quite often a shot of WD40 will shut a belt up for a while too

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
racerguy hit the nail on the head....WD-40 will work and rejuvenate the rubber in the serpentine belt!!

I had a Camaro that squeeked all the time and a new belt didn't help!! A couple of shots of WD-40 while it was running and no more squeeking.....be sure to cover anything you don't want WD-40'd!!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those interested - I tried WD-40 today and it seems to have worked great. I'm a little curious to see if it will work a week from now though.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm not sure if this will work on a serpentine belt or not but I've used just a regular bar of soap on v-belts with pretty good results.I just hold the soap against the bottom side of the belt while the engine is running(watch those fingers if you try this method) its a little dangerous so be careful.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Huliner,

You may have to re-treat you serpentine belt a couple of times but the WD-40 will rejuvenate the tackiness of the rubber and you can then forgedabuodit!!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
171 Posts
You should try looking and examining the pully's with the belt removed. There may be varnish that has built up on the pully's themselves that allows the belt to squeel. The problem with the belt dressing is that it allows the belt to slip, which is not what you want happening. I don't know if you can do this, but can you put more tension on the belt itself? Thats what I would do. Good luck!
This is quite right. The pulleys are contaminated with gunk. You need to throughly clean the pulleys. You need to clean even the serpentine grooves. I usually take the belt off & clean down in the grooves with a wire brush & the tensioner pulley with scotch brite. That's how I have it done at my auto repair shop & we haven't had a come back. It does take a few extra minutes but you won't be doing it in the rain or snow or when you have to be somewhere else & running late.

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
I reckon after 8 years he's probably got it sorted. :)

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I reckon after 8 years he's probably got it sorted. :)
lets hope so..:)
i guess 2stangman felt it was time to dust off this old topic..:D
and i almost replied on it to...LOL...:eek:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nice job bringing back the old threads stang, thats 2 so far ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts