Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '64 Sedan, and just bought the SSBC brake kit, non-power. The car has a nine inch in it now, with drum brakes, but I also have a disc brake kit for that as well. Anybody have any experience with the non-power system, especially how much pedal pressure it takes to get the car slowing down?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have heard to use a master cylinder from a 1988 Dodge Daytona with 4 wheel disks. It is supposed to do the job without power. The general rule is to have a smaller bore diameter in the master cylinder for non power. Use like 7/8" or 15/16" to get the pressure up. I have the same kit you do with Wilwood on the back. I will be using the Daytona MC, just haven't got it yet.

Pete

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The kit comes with a master, but I don't know what the bore is. This is good feedback.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got the master cylinder(the Daytona one) for the Fairlane the other day. It's almost a direct bolt in. Ordered it from CSK auto(Shucks/Kragen website) cost $100. Had to enlarge the bolt holes to 3/8" but the mounting pattern is the same. Also had to shorten the pushrod about 1/2" or a little more. Can't tell you how it works, cuz the car is still under construction.

Pete

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would just go with the MC you got with the kit. They paid somebody to choose that MC and staked their reputation on it. Since it is already in you hands, I see no reason to go another route until you KNOW you have an issue.

Once concern though. If this MC is for rear drums, it may have a residual pressure valve built into the port for the rear brakes. I have heard these can be easily removed. Might be a good idea to call SSBC to clarify. I'm positive you are not the first guy to want to put discs all the way around. They should be able to easily help. If they are not clear, try calling ECI or MP Brakes as they both have good tech folks.

Let us know what you find out, as many of us will go this route at some future point.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - I will update when I get a response from SSBC. I sent an email off to them after sitting on terminal hold on the phone to ask about whether the master would work with the disk brake rear as well.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I have seen that kit, 4 wheel disc, on a 60 liner (not mine) with no MC. Braking was fine. Not sure on pedal pressure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fakesnake on 7/30/06 10:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the main issue is pressure at the rear and between the front and rear...thus the proportioning valve they should have included with the kit. The master they sent would have larger front chamber for the drum rear brakes and the proportioning valve would reduce the rear pressure because the drum brakes are self actuating due to their design...(work more efficient than the discs) with rear drums you will lock-up your rear brakes without the valve to reduce the pressure.
I suspect you will just have to not reduce the rear pressure at all OR as much to find a balanced setting.
Start slow and adjust as required...information is power...haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts