Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 302 in my My 68 Torino is acting strange. After driving it about 20 min around town, it starts to run crappier than when cool. It started stalling today at lights and now won't start at all in the driveway.

1. Accelerator pump is shooting fuel.
2. Sparking at plug (Mallory coil has around 100 miles on it)
3. Neutral safety switch is around 6 months old

The engine IS on the way out. It has only a few lbs of pressure when hot at idle, but the compression is not too bad and it cranks normally.

I was thinking vapor lock but won't know until she cools down. Another thought was a jumped timing chain. I tried tweaking the distributor, but still doesn't sound like she's getting anything.

Ideas?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I checked the slack between crank rotation and rotor movement and it's about 18-20 degrees. I'll assume that's too much.

Other symptoms of this engine:
1. When if DID run, it didn't want to run right unless I had timing set to between 15-18 degrees initial timing.
2. When set to factory 6 degrees, the vacuum would be around 15 degrees, so there's already a problem.
3. There was always a low constant exhaust backfiring. I assumed I had a burnt valve or a vacuum leak in the plenum.

I'm interested in any feedback before I open up the timing cover.

Thx.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
sounds like ya need a timing chain.
If you still need more proof, take out the fuel lift pump and feel how much slack is in the chain.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Stalling- Hot now No-start- STILL

After changing the timing chain the engine ran much stronger when cool. After a warm-up drive, I shut it down for 30 minutes. When I started it again, it was running like crap, then finally stalling and un-drivable. After a good cool-down, It starts and runs fine.

I'm stumped!
:confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could you describe "like crap" any better? Does working the throttle change anything?

What is your timing set at now? I'd set it back to 10 until you get bugs worked out. I'm just thinking out loud here, but it could be that your cam timing was off with the stretched chain and that affected the need for more initial advance. It would also be good to check that TDC on the harmonic balancer is truly TDC.

Things that come to mind for me are vacuum leaks and fuel filter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The timing is set to 18 degrees, but it really wants more to bring up the vacuum, which is 15" steady. Finding true TDC will probably help, but I know the motor is extremely tired. At this point I'm timing by vacuum and RPM. It worked before the timing chain and after too, but the issue is really about it stalling when hot. As soon as I put it in gear, the engine will just shut off. I can crank and crank, and nothing. The spark is there but a bit weak to me.

If i let it cool down for an hour or more, it fires-up and runs well. By running like crap, I mean it sounds like it's missing, surging a little bit and the engine is shaking pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just a thought, have you took the plug wires off latly and put them back on ? Back firing sounds like you got them mixed up, check firing order to make sure anyway.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Another thing I think maybe water in your tank? Take a hose and run it all the way down in tank . Run gas in a clear jug and see if water is at the bottom of jug. May stumble on ya problem .

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
D/spark system ? box is on its way out or has left the building or still got pionts/cond. , need to be replaced

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FE... always straight the point :) Yea, I will be rebuilding the motor once I finish with the body. I'm trying to buy some time since she runs decent enough before it starts acting up.

New points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Been keeping some sea foam in the tank too to displace water. One thing that's odd is I have fuel vapor (fog) coming out of the fuel bowl vent. Maybe there's air getting in the line. That could cause suction issues for the fuel pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts