Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new hot rod in the snail mail and got a quick glance at a pic of a starliner mounted on a crown vic cop car frame. The caption said they had to stretch the frame an fab up the floor pans but other than that its a good fit. Hmmm. That really gets the old bean gears turning

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
If it is the newer crown vic, you are darn right it would get the gears turning!! That chasis is rock solid and I can attest to that! I have never driven a car that size that handled so well. When new, it handled bumps and dips better than any car I have driven and on turns it seems to sway just a bit and then no more, it just digs in and turns. You better have some good soft tires. I couldnt even imagine my 65 feeling like that. WHEW!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Me and Chooch65 have had a wonderful chat about putting a late model Marauder frame under a 65. Wet dream became of it. (about the frame, Not Chooch
)

·
Registered
822 Posts
As soon as I bought my '04 Crown Vic a few years ago I have been trying to devise a plan to do just that. I think there is about 2.5 or 3 inches difference in the wheelbase between a Galaxie (65-68) and the Vic, with the Vic being shorter. There is also a couple of inches difference in track width, but I can't remember which way. My thought was to just cut the floor out of the CV and stretch it with the frame, then cut the floor out of the Galaxie.

My original thought was to take the entire firewall from the CV too, that way you have all the dash, HVAC, electronics, etc.......

Too mant projects, too little money, and time, and space to do them, and money, and time......

1967 Galaxie 500 XL 390/4-speed
Toploader + Hurst = The ONLY shiftkit!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 673904spd on 12/20/06 12:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Also I have cab driver friends and friends that drive New Town Cars for a living NONE of which ride as good at my 67 and my 67 rides like crap compared to 64 galaxies that I have been in

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-12-19 09:14, dbu8554 wrote:
Also I have cab driver friends and friends that drive New Town Cars for a living NONE of which ride as good at my 67 and my 67 rides like crap compared to 64 galaxies that I have been in
I would'nt say that bud. My 04 Marauder rides way better then a 65 (which is the same as a 67).

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Maybe the fact mine is a 4 door longer Wheel Base? My friend has an 05 Crown Vic and my car rides better then his does, Now his car handles much better does not lean as much in the corners, but it does not ride as well as my 67 same goes for new town cars and forget about the new 300 as far as ride very stiff IMO

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Big difference is gonna be if it is a police chassis. The suspension is a completely different package, with a feel like no other big car.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Southern63gal: Add PST front and rear sway bars to your Galaxie. I did that this summer and with a good set of new stickier tires the only limitations on cornering seem to be that the lap belt won't hold me in the seat. F l a t a s a p a n c a k e around corners. Still not a ride comparable to a new car but for the money it is one awesome upgrade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts