Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been having what I thought was Starter Solenoid issues, and have replaced several. Now I am not so sure. So tell me what I have. I have replaced the Starter Solenoid three times. Once it would not disengage from Start, I almost burned up the starter. I replaced that solenoid, and it was working fine for several weeks. Then I go to a shop to get my exhaust pipes adjusted in the rear, and it failed to start. Jumping the solenoid and it fired right up. So I went to start it later in the week, and it would not start. Jumped the Solenoid, works fine. Then would start with the solenoid two of three times. I then replaced it, and the starter would not disengage once, then it would not start. Jumped the Solenoid again, fires right up. So do I have a bad ignition switch? I can wire a house electrical in my sleep, but do not understand the first thing about car electrical. I had a bad time with my Alternator wiring, finally got that figured out a few months ago. But these electrical gremlins are taking the fun out of Sunday driving.

Any help would be amazing. I love this car, but she is putting me through the paces.

·
Subscriber
736 Posts
Any starter solenoid you can buy off the shelf at Advance these days is total crap. They fail regularly.
Spend the money on something like a Cole-Hersee. Its cheap insurance in the long run.
You can also hit the local junkyard and find the original Motorcraft pieces.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after doing some further diagnosis, it turns out the ignition switch was the culprit the entire time. I went to start the car on Friday, and the key stuck in the on position, and would not start. I was finally able to get it over to accessory in order to take the key way out. It was coming apart, which was causing all sorts of bad contacts. When I went to take it off to check it, it fell apart in my hands. So I ordered a new part, and came today. I installed it, and the engine fired right up. No issues at all. usually I have rough starts, takes time to catch, especially if I have not run it for a few weeks. Took the car out for a spin, and it ran great, I have had some stalling at lights, and even that was not an issue.

I don't know if this was a magic pill, but I am certainly happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
Great. Now on to the next issue!

Reactions: ahaywood5785
1 - 4 of 4 Posts