Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a couple of hours free this afternoon. Then I remembered that I had a 65 Galaxie in the garage. I have had the car for a while. All the mechanics are done and the car was stripped down for painting. Well life got in the way. 2 years later, here I am ready to start again. I have never done this before but I have seen it done on Youtube. ☺ So far, I made sure that the trunk and door gaps were set. Then I use a air powered shear to remove the bulk of the panel. Now, I am drilling/grinding spot welds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
scary surgery there :)

I know what you mean about 'life happening' , my old mustangs sat in the garage since '84, just got started on it last july... then stopped in sept to work on sons project, getting ready to get back after it now... funny how priorities can change huh :)

where did you find a full quarter? I'd heard only skins or half-skins were available for 65s but I hadnt really looked in the last ten years...

congrats on getting time to get back on a project- know it can be fun at times juggling priorities- always feels good to see some progress on a idled project, keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a NOS quarter that I got from Dennis Carpenter in Charlotte, NC. Surprisingly affordable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More progress

Spent another couple of hours today. Not real sure what I am going to do in the last pic. Where the quarter panel meets under the rear window. I started to drill out the spot welds. However, the quarter panel goes under where it meets the roof and also where it meets the panel under the rear window, I can't really get to the spot welds down in the trunk. So I think that I am going to leave what I have and just join up to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: More progress

My 2cents, leave as much of the original material that you can. If it is not rotten or bent try not to replace. Just practice on old metal with butt welds. those corners are tough and they have lead in them. make sure you grind on both sides to make the transition smooth. with butt welds you won't even notice new material.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More pics

If I actually knew what I was doing, I would probably do done by now. I am test fitting the new quarter panel. Fits like a glove except for the damaged area where the roof meets the trunk(see pic). I plan on using panel bond and a few spot welds to hold the new panel in place. Wish me luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
So whats the story on this gal? First pic I noticed the late model mustang wheel, then saw the disk brake, just gotta wonder what other goodies are under there :)

Quarter looks a lot better with the hole covered back up:) I'd opt for as many spotwelds as possible just in case... Saw a video of a camaro busting a axle and the whole quarter blew off the car nearly undamaged :)

Off topic, but this video was knda wild, just fast fwd to the last little bit...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ST6FQV2GBIk

·
Registered
576 Posts
So whats the story on this gal? First pic I noticed the late model mustang wheel, then saw the disk brake, just gotta wonder what other goodies are under there :)

Quarter looks a lot better with the hole covered back up:) I'd opt for as many spotwelds as possible just in case... Saw a video of a camaro busting a axle and the whole quarter blew off the car nearly undamaged :)

Off topic, but this video was knda wild, just fast fwd to the last little bit...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ST6FQV2GBIk
Awesum vid!! I'v seen a few axles break, but never in slo-mo...

Double Off-Topic: did anyone look at the tree?? He was choppin that DingDang tree down!!!

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
this all makes me want to ask a question to bodyguys out there- how DO you properly weld a quarter on? our 65 had a half panel replaced, looked horrible, so I ground it down to fill... was kinda surprised it was brazed in short stitches maybe 1/2" long, but 4-5" apart... seemed 'light' to me, so I migged a few extra stitches in on the underside, lots of plug welded holes around the dropoffs and the wheelhouse patches to the lip... just wondered to a 'real' bodyshop, how many plug/spots are typical around a wheel opening, or a seam... A guy at work had a quarter put on his car after a crash repair, in looking it over, I only saw 3 spotwelds on the lip...seemed real light to me... think there were at least a dozen into my wheelhouse patches around the lip, and fully welded the inner patches in (think full weld on a visible seam might make a warped mess- but how much is typically 'enough'?)

kudos to anyone daring to put their own quarter on, thats some pretty scary cuts to make- I need to replace some parts of my 69s quarter, but am leaning towards cut/piece instead of a full quarter- just because 'I'm skeered' to cut that much :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished the quarter panel install

Well it took longer than expected(of course). I finished "gluing" my quarter panel and rear panel below the trunk. I used Lord Fusor 108B.Still a little butt welding to do. Ignore the oversize gap. I can fix that(I hope). I really hated to cover up the ford part# stamp. Tip: You can't have too many clamps. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: Finished the quarter panel install

Looks good. You need to finish your butt welds. Tack one one top of the edge of the others until you have a continuous weld line, then grind off and you cannot see the welds. Only do an inch or less, apply air to keep it cool so it won't warp. I and one weld move the tip an inch away to another spot and weld one, then repeat around the line until all filled up. That small gap you have you will need to add metal, I would get a piece clamp it on top, then use my cutoff wheel and cut through both pieces and you will then have a perfect fit replacement piece to weld in the gap. As for the fusor glue, well let's just say the guys at the auto store tried to sell me that, but I don't think it can be as strong as a weld. I would not use it on my galaxie, but let us know how it turns out. As for how many spot welds to put in, I would compare to the original and duplicate. Looks good though. Keep going.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess that I should not have said that I "finished". I have started finish welding my butt joints. I figure that since Fusor is recommended by Ford, Chrysler, & GM for quarter panel replacement, it should be ok. However, I do agree with you about the spot welds. By using 108B, I can take my car to the body shop and have them put a few spot welds in even after the adhesive has cured. I believe this should give me peace of mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts