Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem with my starter.
I changed the old ,tired 289 to a fresh and powerfull 351.
The flexplate and the starter are the old parts.
Now the engine takes a bit more place, so I put the battery in the back (trunk?)
I conected the ground cable to the fender screw and conect the positive pole to th starter-relay. (cable is ca. 25 mm2 )
Now my problem:
If I want to start the starter turns like the battery is empty.
I noticed the ground-cable to the batery is after few turns hot and the positive-cable is warm too!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
If the cables are getting warm, you're asking them to do too much work. Replace them with larger cables (I've heard a welding supply place is a cheap source).

-Brian

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Make sure the engine is grounded to the body as well. I did the same thing and the only ground I had to the motor was the throttle cable and it smoked it. Had to run a piece of wire through the dash for a throttle to get home.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
My motto is: "You can never over-ground' an electrical system.
When I ran a dual stage NOS setup on my old brand x little electrical gremlins were always messing things around. I started adding grounds. Grounds to everything.
It fixed all the problems. And, yes, a welding supply store is a super/inexpensive place to get cable.
Overkill is also a good word/term to use when doing electrical setups.
Always use the right size wiring. Always solder connections. Always shrink wrap connections. Always use insulators when passing any wiring thru metal enclosures.
Granted, this is all OLD news, but sometimes any one of them can slip by, and end up biting ya in the butt.
Good luck on your wiring adventure!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think the guys have nailed the problem.I would run the negative cable directly to the engine and them run a smaller cable to the firewall or inner fender.I dont think running the cable to a fender bolt will give you a good enough ground to the engine and you will probably have lots of electrical gremlins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts