Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 Maverick Grabber with a 302 and a C4 auto trans that I’m having difficulty with. The starter acts as if it is not fully engaging with the flex plate and slipping. I have a Durablast #DL3124 in it at the moment. I was told to see if I could find a starter with a longer bendix nose cone. The Durablast has a 2 ¼” cone. I looked into see if Durablast has a longer cone, but no. I then checked into BBB starts, but still could not find a starter with a longer cone. Has anyone experienced this before, and do you have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I looked up the DL3124 from AutoZone and it has the 'outie' bendix teeth showing fully which is the furtherest in of the two starter styles. My guess is the bendix is junk on yours and you can replace the bendix or the whole starter and fix the problem.

The other mounting style is an 'innie' where you can see only the tip of the bendix which will not go in as far relative to the block/flexplate as the above one.

Even tho listings are for stick/auto it doesn't mean it is so. You need to measure from starter mounting plate/position (which should be the rear Block face) whether you have a block plate or not.

There are Only the two bendix styles and a bunch of starter cable attachment styles so you can go through several later years to see if something might work better, mainly for clearance problems because later ones get smaller and smaller like the aftermarket race ones and with higher torque for easier engine turning over along with a higher CCA battery.

These starters fit 289, 302, 351W, the 351C, 429, 460 are basically identical except the have the top mounting bolt coming in from the rear threading into the top starter threads. If you have the correct bendix protrusion (innie or outie) you can drill out the threads and use the C/429/460 starter on a small block, likewise using a small block one on the C/429/460 by just using a long bolt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts