Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new starter for my 63 Gal with a 390. But I really don't know a whole lot about starters and have a few questions. Mainly about getting the right one. The starter on it now has been on since I got the car, so I know nothing about it. I know the teeth have to match up to the flywheel. And I know that my engine is actually a 390 out of a 66 Galaxie, and transmission is an FMX from a 73 Country Squire. So I don't know if that makes a difference when I go to the store and tell them I have a 63. I posted a similar posting on here a while back asking about people's opinions on what brand and kind of starter to get. Several people recommended a high torque mini starter. What are you thoughts? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would say its the 1st e bay listing... Three Hole mounting, later style starter... Not sure what year they dropped the long shaft style, 61-62??

MRO.....

Just tell them 66 with auto......

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mike, Don't go looking for a starter for a 73 Squire with a 390...No such animal, 1971 was the last year for the FE in passenger cars. Take the starter with you, more than likely it will be the one for 65 and up. The 73 tranny might be bolted up to an earlier FE bellhousing. Any how there are only 2 style FE starters, and even Stevie Wonder can tell them apart...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll be crawling up under there this weekend hopefully to take a look at what I've got. Guess I will need to remove the one on it before ordering a new one. I just didn't want to order one and have it not fit, and then have to deal with sending it back and paying for extra shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.