Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently come across a wiring problem on my car (68’ fairlane 500 with a carbureted 91’ mustang 302). I bought the car running and driving, however, the starter solenoid has began to become a problem as it keeps blowing. The solenoid has been replaced 3 times now (hoping it was just a faulty part) and is obviously not the problem. Seems like I’m getting constant power to the starter when the battery is hooked up as the car will try to turn over the second I put both leads on the battery. Trying to diagnose this issue, I had a puff of smoke rise from the engine at side of the firewall from what I hope was a corroded grounding wire. I am now debating my next move as I can go with a full universal painless wiring harness replacement or try to freshen all grounding connections and tediously track down any damaged wire/insolation and splice in new material. Not the most fun problem to have on my first project car. Has anyone had similar problems or replaced their harness? Any recommendations/expertise is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Have you tried leaving off the two small wires to the solenoid? I have a similar situation where with every thing hooked up , as soon as I turn the key to "on" the starter engages and STAYS engaged until I pull the small terminal on the solenoid for the "start" function. The engine stays running but the starter shuts off. the key still shuts off the engine. "I" feel I have somehow fried the ignition switch. I have replaced the solenoid and starter and nothing has changed so I think it is the switch. It will get replaced tonight to prove my theory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you reply GT350HR. I have not yet tried this although it is a very good point. I will see if I can look into it this weekend, but surely have to replace some melted wires when I track them down as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Looks like I may be unwrapping some wire looms too. That is if the ignition switch isn't the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts