1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Napa, about eight bucks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Advance... Auto zone or napa all carry them... 15$ tops... Take your old one so you can verify if it's what your looking for... Good luck

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
There are two primary versions of the Ford starter relay (fender solenoid). Use whatever you find as they are interchangeable, however you must often flip them over for correct wiring. Below is the most common version and is intended for passenger-side battery installations.

The "S" terminal is next to the battery (+) cable stud, and the "I" terminal is on the side with the starter cable stud. If that's what you have, then you're all set with that version. But, if you either get a driver's-side relay, or need that, then just flip it upside-down so the battery cable stud is toward the battery.

Your BATT cable, BLK/YEL charging wire and YEL regulator wire (if you have an alternator) all go on the BATT cable stud. The BRN ignition wire goes to the "I" terminal, and the RED/BLU key-start wire goes to the "S" terminal.

David

·
Subscriber
765 Posts
i don't think the NSS would be in play for the "S" terminal to work.

if you've got power at "I", but not at "S" when cranking...something's wrong with the relay. is it grounded properly?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The NSS is on top of the steering column almost to the firewall. Try jumping from the battery terminal to the s terminal. If it cranks it's the NSS.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
i don't think the NSS would be in play for the "S" terminal to work.

if you've got power at "I", but not at "S" when cranking...something's wrong with the relay. is it grounded properly?
yes it could be....
switch is located on top of steering column... between dash and pedals....

have you tried moving shifter while cranking or in neutral position...

also check bulk head connector, make sure its not loose or corrosion casing the problem....

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
+1 on the neutral safety switch. In-fact, I would use it for diagnosis. Find the 4-pin connector with the RED/BLU and BLK/RED wires in the diagram below. Temporarily jumper the RED/BLU wires together (blue on diagram) to bypass the NSS and test. If the starter relay works, showing power through the RED/BLU wire on the "S" terminal, your NSS is bad or out-of-adjustment. If not, back-track and find the power break.

David

1963 Galaxie V8 (six cylinder is the same for this circuit):

·
Registered
824 Posts
My nss is at the base of the steering column near the pedals not the top or is this just another American terminology as to me the top is where the wheel is . No offence meant by this question.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jumpered the red/blue. Power at "s". Shouldn't it turn over with those wires jumpered though? At this point I'm trying to drive the damn thing without lifting the hood five times a day to start it. Waiting for the nss off the parts car to arrive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
what am i missing here? if he's got power at the "I" terminal with the key in crank then he's already PAST the NSS.

correct?
that's a separate circuit, not effected by NSS

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
I meant "S" terminal there.

if the NSS was bad, he wouldn't be seeing voltage on S at all.
he said, has power at I terminal.. .. not at S

OK so. New solenoid is in. Have power in key "on" position at the "I" post but nothing in key "start" position at the "s" post. Neutral safety???? Where the hell is it?

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Sorry. Confused myself. Still have to bump solenoid to start. Now it isn't shutting off when key is removed. What the hell am I missing? I triple checked all connects.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
maybe you have a bad ignition switch????
back track what you have done...verify connections ....check for broken/cut wires...check grounds...probe with test light....etc...
right click the schematic images and print....use as guide to find problem..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts