Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone tell me if i am checkin my solenoid correctly?

I ask because I didn't hear the famous "click/doink" sound when i turned my key to "start".

When key is in the "on" position the "I" terminal reads 12V, the "S" reads 0V.

When the key is turned to "start" both "I" & "S" show 12V. BUT the terminal that connects to starter reads 153 mv or volts or something weird.

Also the positive side of coil reads .53 volts when key is on "on" position.??????

This 408w build is finally ready to start. I will actually install starter when i figure out this solenoid issue.

I appreciate you input!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hi,

Can someone tell me if i am checkin my solenoid correctly?

I ask because I didn't hear the famous "click/doink" sound when i turned my key to "start".

When key is in the "on" position the "I" terminal reads 12V, the "S" reads 0V.

When the key is turned to "start" both "I" & "S" show 12V. BUT the terminal that connects to starter reads 153 mv or volts or something weird.

Also the positive side of coil reads .53 volts when key is on "on" position.??????

This 408w build is finally ready to start. I will actually install starter when i figure out this solenoid issue.

I appreciate you input!
replace it . when the key is on (no start) , no voltage should be at term. "I"

forgot , clean all ends & term's now . includes ground to block/body
install starter before changing noid . not enough loasd on it might cause problem

·
Registered
780 Posts
To simplify things I would use a test light instead of a voltmeter for testing starter circuits.

Remember that the solenoid must be grounded where it mounts to the fender.

Solenoid should work with or without starter hooked up. Use a jumper wire. First touch one end to the solenoid s terminal then the other to the pos batt post. If no click\clunk and ground is good then solenoid is bad.

.53 volts at coil pos is also not right. Sounds like you need to recheck your wiring

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will get a new solenoid today.

For clarification:

- if I jump the "S" terminal to the positive battery terminal, I should get a "click/clunk" right?

- do i do this with the key in the "on" position?

- Exactly when are the "I" & "S" supposed to read 12V?

My curiosity is getting me now.

The coil issue now - my MSD Digital 6 box is wired to the key switch. The other red wire goes directly to battery positive. After calling MSD today - they said that the positive terminal will not read 12V on the coil (when the key is in the "on" position). They told me to disconnect the coil wire, hold it 1/2" from a ground and then jump the trigger wires (that plug into billet distributor). Provided that an arc/spark is created, this will tell me if the box and coil are working....????? I just thought that the positive terminal should read 12V...??? Any input on this?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Before he answers, let me say that if you have a manual transmission be POSITIVE it is in NEUTRAL before testing, or you may put a new door in the back of your garage with your car. That's assuming you don't successfully stop it with your body first. ;)

David

·
Registered
780 Posts
trans in neutral, good advice :tup: Although I believe the starter isn't yet installed.

Yes, B+ to s terminal on solenoid should make "clunk." Leave the terminal unplugged and touch the jumper to the small post on the solenoid. Key off is preferred but doesn't really matter.

Since you're running an MSD box the I terminal isn't needed. Also I didn't realize you were running MSD so ignore my previous comment about coil pos voltage. Test as instructed by MSD tech.

Originally the s terminal recieved the 12v start signal from the ignition switch to crank the motor. When the solenoid engaged the starter it also sent 12v out from the I terminal to increase the voltage to the coil while cranking.

Hope that makes sense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts