Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried starting a new motor for the first time but after engaging the flywheel and taking a couple of strokes, the pinion grinds horribly and no longer turns the flywheel. When I turn the key again, it grinds right off the bat. If I turn the motor a few degrees at the crank pulley the starter will engage the flywheel for a couple of strokes, then start grinding again without turning the motor. The motor is a 351W stroked to 427, with a clockable high-torque starter to clear the headers. I use the relay on the fender to energize the cable to the starter with a jumper wire at the starter's relay. This is the first time I've used this starter/flywheel combination.

Any help would be much appreciated. Adlai

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Is it the correct starter drive for your flywheel type? Is the battery fully charged? Is it fully engaging or grinding the teeth off? Does it spin the engine OK with the spark plugs out? Is the drive gear spinning of the shaft - or what exactly is making the noise? More info please.

David

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like my starter has a 3/8" offset and I think I need a 3/4" offset. I'll let you know if that works, thanks again...
Adlai

1 - 3 of 3 Posts