Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parts eater just finished off my oem starter.
I was going to buy one from pa-performance starter but, I have a question. I'm finding listings from different part mags. for starters. 3-speed, 4-speed, auto etc. Everyone is different. The car is a 66 but don't remember the flywheel year and the block is a 72 on a 28oz balance. The car had a 3-speed and I replaced it for a toploader. I'm guesing that it is a 157 tooth. Any other guessers? Can pa-performance tell me by the number of teeth on the starter?

·
Registered
314 Posts
You most likely need a starter with 3/8" offset. Most 3-4 speeds use those. The autos and 5 speeds use a 3/4" offset.

Offset is the distance from the mounting surface of the starter to the engine side of the ring gear. Lay a straight edge across the hole in the bellhousing for the starter and measure from it to the engine sid eof the ring gear.

I have been very happy with my Powermaster starter. 3 yrs old and it will spin my 13:1 383W easily, even with the timing locked at 38° initial. They have 3 levels, the lowest one is just a late model Ford mini-starter. They rate it at 160 ft/lbs of torque. $169 new from Summit. You can also get a rebuilt one from Auto Zone, etc for $89 + $40 core charge.

If you want to step up to a stronger starter Powermaster has two stronger versions. One at 180 ft lbs, another at 200 ft lbs. I have the 200. Costs $199 from Summit, has a clockable nose piece so you an move it to clear headers, etc.
Take a look:

The Powermaster site:
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/Racing/racing.html

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would go with a CVR starter. You can get them through the companys(jegs,summit) but we got ours from Napa with a good deal( 178 vrs. 253 in Jegs) and a friend has had a 10 Second Camero and the seond fastest Mustang in town and that was what he used and the only thing he recomened. The motor fires to life and its adjustable so you can turn the starter for block or header clearance....we got the CVR Pro Torque.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I made this mistake with the last starter. I asked for a starter at Pep-boys for a stick car. When I put it on it bolted right up but of course it made that "wonderful" grinding noise. After pulling it out I noticed that the starter had a different number of teeth than the old one. My current starter has 8 teeth and the pep-boys had 9 teeth.

I don't remember the exact year of the flywheel but, I do remember thinking that it was odd that it predated the car. 63 or 64 if I remember right. Wierd.

That answers the question on why I have 2 sets of holes in the explosion-proof bellhousing. 2 differsnt offsets for 4 and 5 speed.

You saved me a mistake FMS lists their starter to fit most 289, 302, 351 except 164 tooth manual. That has to be wrong then it must fit auto and T-5 only.

I was looking at the pa-performance starters but, the only list the late model starters.

Thanks for the info. Anything I missed?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a Powermaster but the holes were drilled wrong and wouldn't bolt up I went with CSI, spendy but no problems

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dave, get this. I've been talking to this guy from PA-performance and I feel sorry for this guy 'cause I've been hammering him with questions. He was thinking it was the same starter offset that you were. 3/8"

I got this thing off and sure enough it has a 3/4" offset like a 5.0 or automatic. Could this flywheel be a 164 tooth or a 351 flywheel?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts