Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 64 fairlane that had a 289 that blew so i got a 68 302 with a FMX transmission and put it in. Now i am trying to start it. I got a new solenoid cause the old one didnt work. The solenoid does get power all the way through to the other end and makes that clicking noise, but the starter wont turn over or make any noise. I changed the starter, starter cable, cleaned the grounds that I could find and it still wont go. Is there another ground hidden somewhere or could the electric be shorting, as far as i can tell it isnt but any sort of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ive been watching your thread for a while, and was hoping someone would have some ideas for you.
I have no idea whats causing your problems, but a few thoughts

Are you sure the Bendix gear is engaging the flywheel? Is it possible that the 289 flywheel has a different count of teeth? if your starter is for a 302, it might have the wrong Bendix gear on it(non-matching)and bind in the flywheel teeth.
Another thing, Is the click in the relay on the fender, or is it obvious the Bendix is trying to engage?
Is you batt terminals tight/clean? Good strong battery? Get your starter tested?Is the safety neutral switch playing games with you?
Like I said, I'm no pro in that area, but since no one offered any help, I thought Ide tell you what i would do if it were me. good luck.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
angus67's questions are good ones - verify what is actually clicking. What is the condition of all 3 of your main cables (ground cable from the block to the battery (-) post, battery (+) to starter relay/solenoid, and relay to starter)? To test while keying to START, put a voltmeter off each end of one cable at a time, meaning for example - the engine block to the battery (-) post - either side of the cable ends so you are also testing the connection. If you read over 0.5 volts, and you have cleaned the connections, replace the cable.

While your doing that, place an ohm meter from one relay stud to the other for the same readings. As angus asked --> You do have a tested and fully charged battery, right? Have you changed anything on the car except the parts you listed? Did it work properly recently?

David

·
Registered
26 Posts
my 64 comet with 289 had a weird problem.the starter would spin but not engage with flywheel. the prob was just the battery.i had a bad cell in battery and it did not have enough power to engage the bendixi in starter. just try another battery and se what you get

1 - 4 of 4 Posts