Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been in the circle track world for a few years and im thinking about going into a little bit of draggin. my question is what car (Mustang,Torino,or Fairlane) would you guys suggest I startout with. It would have to be somethin I could use a Cleveland or 427 in as i Have those motors and spare parts. I'm looking at something thats streetable and kicks the living crap out of those POS rice burners. I would need a car that would initially cost less than 5k.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'm kinda partial to the 71-73 Mustangs myself. Nice curves, great aerodynamics, and with 275/60 R15s in back, and some 225s up front, you get one of the meanest stances any muscle car everhad. Add the fact that theres more than enough room for any motor you want under the hood, great aftermarket support, and if ya dont mind coupes (I like mine, plus its lighter than the mach 1) you can find nice rust free cars in the 1000-1200 range all day long.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Since you have the engine, I think you have to choose either the mustang or the fairlane. The mustang would have to be 67-70 since they came from the factory with FE engines. The fairlane also had FE engines but it gives you more of an nostalga type car. Not every one has a fast fairlane. I would choose a mid 60's fairlane. The fairlane also would give you a little more engine room to work with. The mustang with a FE is a tight fit. Good Luck.
70 Mustang

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it sounds like I should go with the 427's??? I have a lead on a 64 Fairlane but the guy doesnt wanna sell it and it isnt in that great of shape(rust in quarters) I could go fiberglass and say its a thunderbolt right??? Are panels still available or is that a major $$ka......ching$$??? I personally like the look of the '67-70 Mustangs and I LOVE my Clevelands!!! I guess I'm not sure. The 427 has the coolness factor in it though. GRRRRRRR decisions decisions. Thanks for the help guys !!!! keep the suggestions comin!!!!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd go for a simple 67-68 Mustang coupe (less weight) and put the Cleveland into it.
A friend of mine has this combo that runs low 10's with 2V Aussie heads (no need for the big 4V heads), and a C4 trans.
All this stuff is lighter than the FE and cheaper to build, too! (plus its narrower than the FE, so you could get your hands in there to change plugs).
My friends car leaves the line with the front wheels about 4ft in the air! its impressive looking, and the folks at the track cant beleive that its a Cleveland!!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Go for a 68/69 Fairlane/Torino Fastback, or 70 Cougar. The Torino has lots of room for a 427 (Talledega had 429's) and they look so cool with the front end off the ground,lol. I like the look of the Fastback, but they are pretty heavy. The Cougar would just be down right nasty with a 427 in it, and they did come with Clevelands, so it will bolt right in, and they are awesome to drive, and you could get high 9's easy in one of them. Hard decision to make. Try a 66 Fairlane, 60 Falcon, 65 Comet Caliente, or go all out and get an old rod, 32-34, list goes on.
Enjoy.

Rick

·
Registered
81 Posts
I say go Cougar just from the price standpoint. I guess I don't know what things are like where you all are but out here in Arizona you can get a good Cougar for half the price of a Mustang. Then use the extra bugeted cash to really trick out that block!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Wow. the list keeps going on and on. Sure the 427 is cool but sheesh the money is the big problem. I think im goin with Clevelands. I have 2 sets of 4V quench heads and need some Aussies. anyone got some for sale?? I;m willing to get rid of a set of 4v quench. I havent decided on the car yet. I'm gonna keep an eye out and see what i can find around here(there isnt much in North Dakota). Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
Jade

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
A Cleveland in a caged and tubbed pinto would be one BAD MUTHA! But if thats not your game, no sweat. Keep your eyes open, and the right car will fall into your lap.

On a side note, how much would ya want for a set of the 4v heads??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest Darrell I havent thought about selling the heads. I would have no idea what to ask. the one set is machined for adjustable rockers (not for sale) and the other i just pulled off of a motor and need rebuilding. I am looking for a set of aussies so if you have some maybe we can make a deal??????
Jade
P.s I almost forgot. a guy i work with says he wants to sell his '71 mustang. he just put new paint on it and he'll sell it with or w/o the motor. PERFECT!!!! Thanks Everyone !!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jade17h on 5/4/02 10:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
749 Posts
One combo that would work well and be cheap/easy to work on with mega parts available is the C motor in a fox chassis mustang. More engine room...modern front suspension....and light weight. Tons of these cars are everywhere and dirt cheap to buy. It may not be the "classic" ford body but it is the 55-57 chevy of today. Find a 79-85 V8 carb stang and a 351C would bolt right in with a swap pan and headers.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Here's one nobody has said: How about a '70-72 Maverick/Comet? I saw one for sale the other day for $1800 and in like new condition!! They're light, a cleveland will fit and parts are actually not that hard to come by. I'm thinking a Don Nicholson Pro Stock clone would be awesome!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
On 2002-05-04 10:43, jade17h wrote:
To be honest Darrell I havent thought about selling the heads. I would have no idea what to ask. the one set is machined for adjustable rockers (not for sale) and the other i just pulled off of a motor and need rebuilding. I am looking for a set of aussies so if you have some maybe we can make a deal??????
Jade
P.s I almost forgot. a guy i work with says he wants to sell his '71 mustang. he just put new paint on it and he'll sell it with or w/o the motor. PERFECT!!!! Thanks Everyone !!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jade17h on 5/4/02 10:47pm ]</font>
Sorry, no aussies in my shop. Wish there were. Im putting together a clevor for my buddies fox stang. Been tossin the idea of doin one for the 71 as well. Not sure as of yet. Are you gonna pick up that 71? is it a coupe or a mach?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We didnt get too much into it except that he had a '69, '71 and a '73 and he would sell the later 2. I didnt ask what they were. They both had C's in em. Im hopin to get a chance on monday to look at it.Ill let ya know the price and what kind of shape it is in then hopefully!!!
Jade

1 - 15 of 15 Posts