Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - new member here on account of my first classic: 64 Galaxie 500 Convertible (I just posted pics in the Galaxie forum). Glad to be here and hope to contribute and learn a few things along the way.

On to my issue. I have a '70 302 in my Galaxie with a standard Ford motorcraft 2bbl carb. Once running, the car runs like a top, even in 90 degree weather, up hills, etc. Cold, she starts fine, as long as I set the choke by hitting the gas before starting. But when she's warm, she doesn't start unless I give her a lot of gas, sometimes to the floor (though this doesn't occur every time ... usually after I've driven for 30 mins or more).

I've been told it could be the gas is percolating and I need a new carb if so. Happy to do so, but wanted to ask if that issue has anything to do with the fuel line being wrapped in rubber hose ... is it possible the feed stays hot longer because of that? If not, anything else I can do? Perhaps a bigger spacer between the carb and intake? What I've read of percolating/boiling gas is that it occurs when the car is being pushed in hot weather, not when trying to restart it.

I'd really appreciate any tips/guidance on this ...

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I like to use these from DEI, They also have some other sleeves that are lined but more Expensive. Design Engineering DEI 010403 - DEI Heat Sheaths

Holley 17-72 - Holley Carburetor Spacers. Also use this on one similar.

Should fix you up.

Jet

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am going to try thermo shield tape around the fuel line first, and then deal with spacers if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts