Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues and can't confirm where my problem is. This link will explain since the first mishap

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/513203-starting-issues.html

Today i installed a new ignition switch. I attached POS side battery terminal and as soon as i attached NEG the starter began to turn over. I installed the original Starter Sol. when this first happened with the same results. i removed the wires from two small posts on front of starter Sol. so only have battery hooked to starter sol. and starter and get the same results, as soon as battery terminals are on the starter engages?

Possible the new starter is engaged??

Going to pick up another solenoid tomorrow after work and try that.

thanks for suggestions
Kevin

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Stay away from the box-store junk. Find a reputable parts jobber that has MOTORCRAFT - STANDARD - NIEHOFF.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Go back to what you last worked on whenever something messes up. Either the new ignition switch is faulty.
The wires are on the wrong posts.
The ignition wires have chaffed the insulation off and the hot and start wire are touching.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i had the same problem when i rewired my ign switch. it was wired incorrectly and i got a constant run on.

let us know which color wire you put where. that might be a start to figuring out whats up.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Today i installed a new ignition switch.

I attached POS side battery terminal and as soon as i attached NEG the starter began to turn over. I installed the original Starter Sol. when this first happened with the same results. i removed the wires from two small posts on front of starter Sol.

so only have battery hooked to starter sol. and starter and get the same results, as soon as battery terminals are on the starter engages?

There is current draw without the S (or I) terminal being connected. The solenoid is no good.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Today i installed a new ignition switch.

I attached POS side battery terminal and as soon as i attached NEG the starter began to turn over. I installed the original Starter Sol. when this first happened with the same results. i removed the wires from two small posts on front of starter Sol.

so only have battery hooked to starter sol. and starter and get the same results, as soon as battery terminals are on the starter engages?

Solenoid STUCK>>>>>>>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts